PDA

View Full Version : I cant get more fish with out war

SCOTTIE-ROX
10-06-2003, 11:45 PM
I had two n. brichardi, 1 gold sexfesi... 1 eloungus every thing was fine everyone defended there area and all was ok.

I added a daffadill and another eloungus and the brichardi kept trying to kill the daffadill and the eloungus was ok.

I returned the daffadill and got a third eloungus and now both of the new fish are exiled to the top of the tank.

I obviously need more rocks for more teretory and slould I add more fish in a 29 high tank? LPS told me to pack it out to 12 to keep the peace.

:eeek:

jonah
10-07-2003, 04:34 AM
IME, overstocking generally only works with a larger tank and with Malawi cichlids. The dafodil and brichardi are close relatives (Tanganyiak) so they'd tend to fight anyway. I'm not familiar with eloungus so I can't comment much on that.

I might help if you took them all out of the tank and then rearrange the rocks before putting them back in. Kind of makes them all "new" fish at that point.

One more thing, if your brichardi turn out to be a pair, they'll take over a 29g pretty quickly.

SCOTTIE-ROX
10-07-2003, 11:04 AM
the dominant brichardi is in a three way tie for controler of the tank the original eloungus beats him, but the brichardi beats the gold sexfes.... which inturn beats the eloungus.

So caputre them and rearrange, with out adding more fish?

SCOTTIE-ROX
10-07-2003, 01:55 PM
update:
I have 1 Pseudotropheus sp. "elongatus ruarwe", and
2 Pseudotropheus sp."elongatus ornatus"
Info from http://www.riftlakes.com/based on pictures

I took out and baged the elongatus ruarwe, and Neolamprologus sexfasciatus (golden) for a 1/2 hour and rearranged the tank.
I let the elongatus ruarwe back in and it imeadeately took back control. The gold sexfascitus is still in a mesh cage at the top of the tank.

As soon as I get some cash I will get a bunch more rocks to extend the their hiding places up to where they are allowed to swim by the other fish.

I was thinking of adding a eyeles cat fish to help clean up and draw the abuse? or posinbly a "electric yellow" or two...

slc,phenochilus
10-27-2003, 05:49 PM
no

Afrikakorps
10-27-2003, 10:40 PM
no
haha brutal.

Scottie,
you are now experiencing what it's like to keep and command the Afrikakorps. consider yourself Rommel and this is war. Ultimately Rommel lost the war but you may have a chance :wink:

You will need another tank. then another til you have about 10 or more. The fish you really like and want to keep will be about 30 species of tang's and malawi. There will be defeats but your greatest victories lie ahead.

:party: :dance:

Keep us posted :)

Woot
11-10-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by SCOTTIE-ROX
update:
I have 1 Pseudotropheus sp. "elongatus ruarwe", and
2 Pseudotropheus sp."elongatus ornatus"
Info from http://www.riftlakes.com/based on pictures

I took out and baged the elongatus ruarwe, and Neolamprologus sexfasciatus (golden) for a 1/2 hour and rearranged the tank.
I let the elongatus ruarwe back in and it imeadeately took back control. The gold sexfascitus is still in a mesh cage at the top of the tank.

As soon as I get some cash I will get a bunch more rocks to extend the their hiding places up to where they are allowed to swim by the other fish.

I was thinking of adding a eyeles cat fish to help clean up and draw the abuse? or posinbly a "electric yellow" or two...

Ps. Elongatus are generally pretty aggressive little fish. I keep some Elongatus Jewel spots, I'm not totally sure if they are Ruarwe or Hai Reef, both are called jewel spots. Anyway I don't have experience with Brichardi, but I have read they form pairs and will team up to aggressively defend their spot(s). I would suggest just keeping the pair of Brichardi or just Mbuna. As those elongatus grow they will probably be too aggressive for a 29 gallon anyway. I had some in my 30 gallon long setup with less aggressive tankmates and they were pretty rough. I moved them down to the 55 gallon with Cobalt blue zebras, big Acei, and Johanni and they fit in just fine. The zebra and big male acei keep them in line, but they still color up fully.

My male Elongatus
http://www.cichlidgallery.com/albums/woot/jewel_spot12.sized.jpg

merlyn2221
11-11-2003, 01:28 PM
The basic thing overlooked here seems to be the tank size. If you add more fish, you will just be adding more problems. Elongatus are aggressive, but so are the others, on their own terms. Try several different combinations of fish in the tank, based on what you really want to keep, and when you get some chasing, but no real damage, keep that mixture. The others will have to go back to the lfs or into another tank. The combination of fish you have, IMO, should be kept in nothing smaller than a 55g. Whoever told you to put 12 fish in a 29 high is looking to make money off the deaths you will have.

Oh, btw, nice picture Woot!