View Full Version : Filtration ???

10-06-2003, 04:37 PM
I have aquired a 500 gallon acrylic aqaurium that I will need your help...

My friend who helped me move it snapped the sump of the bio tower in 2. It is a very large wet dry system (4x2x3 ft.) and am wondering if I should spend all of that money to have new ones built (which would be WAY more than what I paid for everything!!!). There is only one (the one that snapped) and I would need another one. Or...could I buy 2 pond filters and set them up on either side of the tank? Or is there something out there that won't cost me $1000.00 +/- to get this thing rolling? I figure I would need to move about 2500 gallons per hour. I perfer having 2 filters in case one gives out. I will probably use no substrate and will house Malawian and Tangs --- alot of them [grin]

Thanks in advance for your smarts and help!!!


10-06-2003, 06:42 PM
You could try some of these types. They should work well for a tank that size, and they aren't too bad for the price.


10-06-2003, 07:05 PM
Can you send pictures of the pieces you have remaining? You could possibly use them in conjunction with another tank/tub with very little investment. Sumps can be made from everything from old aquariums (55-75 gallon under your tank) or even a large retrofitted rubbermaid tub or plastic trough. There are many benefits to having a sump. A few of which are ... more space for bio material, additional water volume for a more stable environment, holding place for fish/babies, can be fitted with a float valve and water reservior to replace evaporation, good place to add chemicals, good place to add carbon and other temporary media...the list goes on and on. This can be as simple or elaborate as you want it.

My question would be how is the tank set up to drain to the sump? Bulk heads? Overflow boxes with external mounts.

10-06-2003, 08:00 PM
I knew someone could give me an idea!!! I never thought of using the rubbermaid tubs!!!

The sump area that was snapped of at the end measures 4'x2'x2'. I would have to borrow a digital camera to take any pics.

I am sure that I could rig up 2 100 gallon rubbermaid tubs with the 2 drip plates and biotowers.

To answer your other question...the tank measure out at 8'x4'x2'. The overflow is smack in the middle of the tank and measures 1 ft. square. It is equipped with 6 bulk heads -- 4 to feed 2 wet drys and 2 for the returns.

Nman...I hope this helps you and thanks for helping me!!!


10-07-2003, 09:28 AM
Is this to go into a fish room or an area not otherwise aesthetically concerned? Are you trying to fit this inside a cabinet, etc?

There are many inexpensive but effective options. Please provide more details.

What size are the bulkheads in the overflow?

10-07-2003, 11:49 AM
This is going into a room at my school so...Aesthietics is definitly NOT an issue here!!!

Bulkheads are 1 inch inside diameter -- 2 inch OD.

Anything else???

10-07-2003, 01:54 PM
The easiest thing would be to gravity feed water into a sump or similar receptacle on the floor. That could be anything, but rubbermade makes some big stuff for use on farms (troughs up to 300 gallons for instance). Depending on the height of the sump, you either need to build in a bio-tower or add one.

You'll need something like 150 to 200 gallons capacity in the sump.

There are many ways to design the sump, but the basic principles will apply regardless of the specific design. A basic search on the net will give your plenty of examples, but start with www.ozsreef.com and www.wetwebmedia.com.