PDA

View Full Version : undergravel filters?

DR.J
10-06-2003, 10:52 AM
are undergravelfilters good to have?i hate seeing fish poop all over the gravel.

cichgirl
10-06-2003, 11:42 AM
I still siphon the gravel with my undergravel filter because I put a layer of substrate on the plate & under a screen and then gravel on top of the screen so my fish can't dig to the plate. That way the beneficial bacteria in the substrate isn't disturbed under the screen and they can dig til their heart's content. They work well, but I have a lot of diggers, and this is the only method I've found that is effective and makes us all happy.

Rudy
10-06-2003, 11:48 AM
Not for most cichlid tanks. If they dig then the filters are pretty useless. Some people on this board have made them work with a mesh to covere the grill.

It will also not get rid of the poop though. They mainly benefit for a biological filtration method. Colonies of beneficial bacteria will form under the grill. They will not really get rid of the poop, just slowly break them down and the bacteria will eat them.

Karl
10-06-2003, 12:41 PM
i dont really think they are all that great. i rather have a power filter or one of the hang on or canisters.

DR.J
10-06-2003, 05:30 PM
yea maybe ill just forget it. recently just got a fluval 303 for free from somone i know so this will work on my next tank 40gl hopefully bigger.