PDA

View Full Version : lighting

barristan
10-04-2003, 01:12 PM
Has anyone done any experimenting with different lights?
I was in the reef hobby for a while, but the cost of metal halide(as well as the cost of everything else) drove me back to cichlids.

I am thinking of experimenting with LEDs as well as a few other things.
This is what I want my tank to look like.
http://www.aquariumdesigngroup.com/aquascapes.htm
Look at the cichlid tanks.

I am assuming the white light is metal halide but I don't where the purple comes from. I am just guessing LEDs.

jonah
10-04-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by barristan
Has anyone done any experimenting with different lights?
I was in the reef hobby for a while, but the cost of metal halide(as well as the cost of everything else) drove me back to cichlids.

I can understand that. I kept a reef for a year and the cost really got me down. It seemed more like a job than a hobby. I'm thinking of setting up a low-buck 20 long nano to fool around with soon.

Sorry I don't know how they got the lighting. If I had to guess, it would be LED like you mentioned. Whatever it is, it's a stunning effect.

fishmommy
10-05-2003, 07:57 AM
They could simply be using gel filters to get the colors - regular bulbs with either sleeves or lenses.

jonah
10-05-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by fishmommy
They could simply be using gel filters to get the colors - regular bulbs with either sleeves or lenses.

You mean there's people out there that take the easy way?:lol:

Element
10-09-2003, 11:00 PM
That is a UV Lense bulb AKA black light =) they must have about 4 bulbs in there 3 regular and 1 UV black light just for the "Effect" GL :)

Element
10-09-2003, 11:15 PM
Also forgot to mention go to your local car store were they sell like car lights ect ask them in there for a black light that plugs into the wall that is full waterproof that they use under the cars like in fast and the furious.. i find that those work really well you can mount it to ur hood with 2 lil screws and a mini clamp fromt he hard ware sotre or even 2 big suction cups with apoxy glue stuck to the top of ur hood =)

barristan
10-10-2003, 05:23 AM
Thanks, that is what I am going to do today. If the price is too high I will just go to Radio Shack and buy 4 blue LEDs. I have already tried one as an experiment and it looked pretty good.

When I finish this today I will post some pics.

chc
10-14-2003, 10:59 AM
Just my two cents, but I feel fairly certain that the lighting in your picture is simply a combination compact fluorescent (for the white light) and an actinic bulb (for the blue light). Actinic bulbs are used by reefkeepers to simulate moonlight, etc. and assist in the proper husbandry of many coral species and nocturnal organisms.

Finding such lighting is relatively simple. Coralife makes a standard aquarium hood with both types of lights in them (67000-10000 K daylight lamp plus an actinic lamp). Those units are fairly expensive ($200+ depending on size), but you'd have a fairly tough time finding better DIY. Also, Marc Weiss makes a "moonlight" that works fairly well also. They have a small lamp starting at $69 or so (and up), but that is basically just for night time viewing.