PDA

View Full Version : New tank spec feedback appreciated

SamK
11-19-2007, 09:06 AM
Hi,
Iím looking to set up a new 120 g planted Tropheus Tank. Iím fairly new to Tropheus keeping so really would appreciate any feedback you guys can give me. Iím thinking of the following:

Fish: 5 x Moorii (Muzi), 5 x Deboisi (Maswa), 5 x Moorii (Kaiser).

Tank: Tenecor R120R (48 x 24 x 24)

Filter: XP4 (Rena Filstar)

Pump: Aquarium Systems Maxi-Jet PHP 1200

Heater: Hydor External Heater 300 Watt

Lights: 48 inch Coralife Compact Fluorescent Aqualight Retrofit

Rocks: Black slate (250 lbs)

Substrate: Black Dolomite (120 lbs) & Eco-Complete (140 lbs)

Plants: Crinum Calimistratm, Vallisneria Nana, Anubias Barteri Nana

Is there anything here that I shouldnít be using or on the other hand, should be using that I havenít listed. Any better products that someone can suggest etc.

Also, anyone know of a good supplier that delivers worldwide? I live in Turkey and know that the equipment wanted isnít do easy to obtain here.

Many thanks in advance

daniel505480
11-19-2007, 12:56 PM
Don't mix any two variants of the same type. If you mix the two groups of Moori they are likely to hybridize.

If you want to keep three separate colonies you want to make sure you get three different variants like a brichardi, and moori, and a Sp. Black.

Your numbers may give you a little trouble too. Tropheus are kind of like Mbuna with a few differences. They need larger groups to spread out aggression. The males can get persistent. 3 species is also not easy because one group will end up dominating the other two.

My best advice would be to get two larger groups. You can house 20-25 tropheus in that tank and they'd get along better that way. One group will still dominate the other, but with larger groups the effect will be less.

Oh, and say goodbye to your plants :)

I wish I could help you out with a place to get the fish but I'm in the US.

SamK
11-20-2007, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the feedback.
Noted about mixing the variants so will be careful not to. Number noted also.
I already keep Tropheus so obtaining the fish isnít a problem itís the equipment I canít find here in Turkey, i.e. an XP4. I donít really want to settle for a lower spec canister filter. Finding an external heater is proving to be somewhat of a task also so was hoping that someone could recommend a good supplier that distributes worldwide.
Are you sure about the plants? I have read about and seen many planted Tropheus tanks and they seem to be successful. Is it one plant in particular you are thinking about or all of them?

daniel505480
11-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Finding an external heater is proving to be somewhat of a task also so was hoping that someone could recommend a good supplier that distributes worldwide.
Are you sure about the plants? I have read about and seen many planted Tropheus tanks and they seem to be successful. Is it one plant in particular you are thinking about or all of them?

Well, about the plants. I don't have a ton of experience with plants, but every single one that went into a tank with tropheus was eaten in short order. I wouldn't count on the valisneria lasting long at all. The annubias will probably be ok. I'm not sure about the crinum, but my tropheus seemed to shred plants just to shred them. I've also seen a group of a friends tropheus in with some valisneria and they never touched the plant. So its really dependent upon the fish, and the plants you put in there. My experiences though, are that Tropheus are not very plant friendly :)

As for a company that will ship internationally check this link and you may find your heater.
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~heaters__index.html

SamK
11-21-2007, 01:41 AM
Thank you. I think I will give the plants a try though. I really would like a planted tank and hope the fish will leave them alone. I will try giving them bits of Spinach or something to divert their attention. We will see. If they eat the plants its really no big deal I suppose. I will just have to think about other alternatives of how to make the tank look good.
Will check out Marine Depot.
Once again, thanks.