PDA

View Full Version : Nitrite and Nitrate

kween-b
11-18-2007, 07:23 PM
When Testing My Water I've Noticed That The Nitrite Is 80 Ppm & Nitrate 10.0 Ppm. I Treated It With The Ace And I've Tried Amquel Plus Which Is Supposed To Remove Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia Etc. I Dont Know If Its Supposed To Be This High Since My Oscar Takes Big Poops. What Can I Do To Bring These Levels Down. Not To Mention I've Dont Water Changes As Well.

daniel505480
11-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Keep up the water changes. You are in the middle of a cycle. Try to get some established media from a friend or fish store to seed your filters biological filtration. The amquel will help but not solve your problems.

I would start by doing a 50% water change. You want the tank reading 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and something greater than 0 on the nitrates. Since you have some nitrates building now you know that your cycle is almost done. As the days go by you will see the nitrites drop significantly. After you first 50% water change they will drop to 40ppm and the biological filtration will help reduce it even further.

You should test your water two days after the water change and see where you are at. If your nitrites are still building then do another 50% water change. Cycling a tank with a large Oscar is not the smoothest way to go, but I'm sure that you're just going off the advice you've been given. A 'fishless cycle' would have done a lot to ensure the well being of your Oscar. I'm sure he is not a happy camper right now.

intoashes83
11-21-2007, 07:45 PM
Keep up the water changes. You are in the middle of a cycle. Try to get some established media from a friend or fish store to seed your filters biological filtration. The amquel will help but not solve your problems.

I would start by doing a 50% water change. You want the tank reading 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and something greater than 0 on the nitrates. Since you have some nitrates building now you know that your cycle is almost done. As the days go by you will see the nitrites drop significantly. After you first 50% water change they will drop to 40ppm and the biological filtration will help reduce it even further.

You should test your water two days after the water change and see where you are at. If your nitrites are still building then do another 50% water change. Cycling a tank with a large Oscar is not the smoothest way to go, but I'm sure that you're just going off the advice you've been given. A 'fishless cycle' would have done a lot to ensure the well being of your Oscar. I'm sure he is not a happy camper right now.

As stated ^^ Def. keep up with the water changes. Your getting there to a full cycle. Just be paitient and dont add anymore fish if you already have. Paitience in the cycle is virtue.

SSmokin99
11-23-2007, 08:34 PM
I just set up my tank on 11/15/07 and my nitrite seems a bit high. Should I do a water change now? How often should I do water changes?

ercnan
11-23-2007, 09:06 PM
I just set up my tank on 11/15/07 and my nitrite seems a bit high. Should I do a water change now? How often should I do water changes?
You need to post more info. in a new thread of your own.
It's hard to keep straight who's talking to whom in a thread with 2 folks wanting the same info.