PDA

View Full Version : stocking list for 5ft tank

maxie
11-14-2007, 07:30 AM
hey, i am new to the forum and i have just bought a 5ft x 2ft x 1.5ft tank. The tank will arrive by the end of the week and i was just after some advice on stocking. i currently have a 3ft tank with keyholes, breeding kribs, b/nose catfish and pearl danios. what are your thoughts on the following stocking for the new tank:

4 blue acaras
4 nicagaruens
4 red forest jewels (i know they arent americans but i like them anyway)
4-6 australian rainbows
2 bristle nosed catfish
4-6 gold panchax killies
2-4 upside down catfish
possibly spiny eels (peacocks)

does anyone have any suggestions or advice about any of these fish? am i overstocking or could i include more? any help or advice would be much appreciated,

cheers,

jombi21
11-14-2007, 11:31 AM
How much filtration are you planning on using?

Jom

maxie
11-14-2007, 05:44 PM
the tank has 6 box filtration compartments built into the hood, with two 900lph powerheads. i was also thinking about buying a large cannister filter as well if needed, like a fluval 305/405 or a big jebao (1100-2000lph). im not using an undergravel filter as the noise of the airpump does my head in when i am trying to sleep and the tank is going in my bedroom.

cich1
11-17-2007, 06:40 PM
i think the jewels may be too aggressive for the rest of the fish you plan on stocking.

maxie
11-18-2007, 07:51 PM
has anyone else tried jewels in a similar type set-up? also if anyone has any suggestions for a replacement species for the jewels then i am open to ideas. also, if any of the cichlids were to pair up i know i would probably have to take back the other two of that particular species.
cheers.

PARK-IT
11-26-2007, 05:57 PM
I have Jewels. If they don't kill the rest of your fish they will destroy their fins. The nipping and stress will likely kill them.

agez
11-26-2007, 09:08 PM
jewels and nicraguense will eat all the panchax and little cats, then they will go for the acaras fins. jewels & nics arent as peaceful as some might like to think.

maxie
11-30-2007, 06:04 AM
ok, so i have added some more stock to the tank today, and i now have the following:
4 nics (3m 1f i think)
4 bkue acaras
6 gold panchax
6 murray river rainbows
3 clown loaches
4 upside down catfish
2 b nose catfish
2 pearl danios
1 female kribensis.

the krib and danios are left over from the tank cycling, and the clown loaches will go when they reach around 5-6". the acaras and nics will be cut back to one pair each if one forms, and if the upside down cats or rainbows are looking a little small they will go into my 3ft tank. all fish are around 2-3 inches. the panchax are the biggest in the tank atm. does anyone see any possible problems? i have held off on the re forest jewels for now, but i am still tempted to add them or something similar. any ideas? thanks in advance

fish speaker
11-30-2007, 10:14 AM
I'm going to dissent from the group here: if the jewels are H. lifalili, I really don't think they'll be a problem. My experience has been that they are much less aggressive than other jewels, and work fine in a community.

maxie
12-01-2007, 05:12 PM
the jewels would be the red forest (lifalili) variety which are supposed to be not quite as aggressive as the blue jewels. i am thinking of holding off a few weeks as then i will be getting an african community tank (4ft), so if the jewels dont work then i have that as a plan b. how am i looking as far as stocking goes? would i be overstocked with the addition of more fish?

maxie
12-02-2007, 06:54 PM
ok, well i added three of the red forest jewels yesterday. i aimed for 2f/1m. they are around 2.5"-3" and seem to be pretty placid so far. the smaller acaras and female krib are bossing them around a little. thanks everyone for your help and i will keep you posted with how things turn out down the track