PDA

View Full Version : color changes?

The Menace
09-27-2003, 09:25 PM
hello everyone, this is my first post here:)

is it normal for JD's to change colors when they are in the dark? i noticed that mine will have dark stripes all over their bodies and the reb & blue on their fins get brighter when they have been in the dark and i turn on the lights in the room (i.e. they have been in the dark all night and i turn on the lights to the room to leave for work).

also, i just added a silver arowana to the tank (it will be there until i can find a bigger tank for it), i noticed that the JD's dorsal fins stand up constantly whereas before they rarely stood up. is this something to be concerned about?

this is my set-up right now:

55G 48x13X21

(2) Albino Tiger Oscars, 2 inches each
(2) Jack Dempseys, 1.5 inches each
(1) Silver Arowana, 5 inches

Karl
09-28-2003, 05:51 AM
hi and welcome! When your jack dempsey changes color that is fine. the dempseys i had in the past and my buttikoferi now do the same. And for the fins i really dont know why fish's fins do that but i dont think its anything to worry about.

cichgirl
09-29-2003, 06:53 AM
I think your lil dempseys took one look at the arowana and are just trying to look bigger... :D

DR.J
09-29-2003, 01:53 PM
I have had dempseys to.Five of them. It was a few years ago but i do remember alot bout them its completly normal.My dempseys did it the same as yours does and it is completly normal.

cichgirl
09-29-2003, 03:02 PM
Yes, color change is normal. In my dempseys, the darker, the happier. I would say that they all are a little different. But my male would change from striped to dark umpteen times over the course of the day. Very moody fish, but they are VERY PRETTY in adult manifestation.