PDA

View Full Version : Quiet Aquarium?

Yappe
11-04-2007, 07:02 PM
Would an aquarium in a bedroom be a bad idea? My friend told me the filtration and pumps might get noisy. Is there a way to make this aquarium less noisy but still work well for the fish?
Thanks

cichgirl
11-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Not a bad idea at all. I always loved having an aquarium in my bedroom. Steady noise never bothered me. As long as you keep your water level up noise shouldn't be an issue.

Yappe
11-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Well this is my first aquarium. Would anyone be willing to give me a hand or direct me to where i can find some?
Thanks

thegrayham
11-04-2007, 08:57 PM
I would suggest investigating canister filters (assuming your looking at a tank great then 20 gallons). I find that compared to Hang on back power filters or sump / wet-dry systems they are the quietest by far. Noise was one of my main issues with being able to put a tank where I wanted and is how i ended up on the filter i chose (the Marineland C-360). Although I would highly recommend mine for price to filtration power I think you would find the Eheim or Rena Canister systems good options as well.

Yappe
11-04-2007, 09:08 PM
Well the tank i got is a 10 gallon. This is my first time owning my own fish. i dont have the $$ yet nor the skill to own a tank to big.

thegrayham
11-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Ok well on a 10 (which is what i started with) I would just run a nicer power filter like the Aqua Clear 150 or the Marineland Penguin 100 or 150 (my favorite). They key to keeping any of these power filters quiet is just keeping the water level high enough that there is no cascading efect of water falling from the output into the aquarium. Hope this helps and good luck.

Yappe
11-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the advise and quick response
Glad i found these forums :)

MidNightCowBoy
11-05-2007, 12:44 PM
I'd say if your sensitive to noise, don't put it in your bedroom. It will make some noise. If a slight, constant droning doesn't bother you, then go for it.

RustyNut
11-05-2007, 03:12 PM
You get used to the noise in no time and many find the trickling like a brook and actually aids falling asleep. Ever sleep with a fan on high? Or and A/C unit?

The thing to avoid is rattles and other 'disturbing' occurrences of noise.

navygirl76
11-05-2007, 04:23 PM
i have an aquarium by my side of the bed, and i sleep fine.. its not loud at all to me..

intoashes83
11-17-2007, 08:53 PM
Although I would highly recommend mine for price to filtration power I think you would find the Eheim or Rena Canister systems good options as well.

pretty much totally silent given you keep your water level above the return end as to not cause a waterfall effect. Eheim is in my opinion one of the quietest canisters I have ever seen. I run one, and my tank is almost dead silent. Kinda eery sometimes. I have to check it to make sure it is in fact doing its job and didnt burn out.

Marko
11-17-2007, 10:28 PM
Definitely depends on the person. I had to move all tanks out of the bedroom, can't handle any noise at all when I'm trying to sleep. Must be an old age thing. And there are no set-ups that will be noise-free. You can always try it and if it bugs you move it to the dining room or another busy place where you'll still see them a lot.

hidesherheart
11-18-2007, 07:07 AM
We have a 240 gal tank with a 55 gal sump in our bedroom. I sleep every night to the sound of a water fall. LOL
It just all depends on how sensitive you are to sound when trying to sleep.

RustyNut
11-18-2007, 03:16 PM
I have found that within a day or two you get used to the tank being there and after adjusting to the water trickle sound you have a hard time sleeping anywhere else! :D

djfungus
09-08-2009, 09:03 AM
I found this thread due to me wondering what canister filters are the quietest... I have my 100 gallon in my living room and sometimes the noise from my old Marineland 350 gets annoying when trying to watch a movie or something. The H.O.B.'s on it arent too bad. I have the inside of the cabinet lined with acoustic foam (a bit expensive stuff but it was extra from my studio) which helps out ALOT with the noise. My filter is just getting old... so i think it's time to upgrade to a Rena or Eheim.

DogWalker
09-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Of the brands I've owned (Fluval, Rena, Eheim) Eheims are the quietest. That being said I currently have three Renas in the den and they aren't a nuisance for watching TV, or napping. I doubt the latest Fluvals would be any worse. For a bedroom I'd probably go with Eheim though.

AlvinBrockway
09-08-2009, 09:16 PM
My tank is literally 3 feet away from me when i sleep, i have a HOB and a fluval canister, along with a hydor night light/air bubbler combo, and i dont even notice it at all, i guess it depends on your sensitivity like everyone is saying

RustyNut
09-09-2009, 04:24 AM
Most people get used to it after a short time!

Pinto
09-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Definitely go with a canister filter if you want a quite filter. A zoo Med 501 would be great with a 10 gallon tank.