PDA

View Full Version : 29 to 60 gallon fish transfer help

805fish
11-01-2007, 11:29 AM
i have a 29 gallon tall with 7 cichlids and im about to transfer them to a 60 gallon tank...the tank has just been sitting in a room and i bought it off a friend for 30 bucks!!!....i was wondering if i put the old water from the 29 to the 60 and then fill the rest with new water??? and how would i go with moving the fish in??
some help would be appreciated...thanks...

cichgirl
11-01-2007, 12:20 PM
I'd transfer the filter(s) only, not the water they're in. Just make sure the ph and temp are the same or very close. Your bacteria is in the filters, on the substrate and decorations. Any transfer of these things will help jumpstart the new tank. I would get everything set up, transfer the fish and the filters around the same time.

Do you have to move the fish from one room to another? I'd just use a 5g bucket. Welcome to the forums! :)

805fish
11-01-2007, 12:48 PM
thanks for the wealcome :)...

first of all i have a wet/dry filter that im using on my 29 gallon...i was thinking of using the same one for my 60..that should work? About the sand...should i transfer it too? or just transfer my rocks?...No the fish are in the same room...so idk if i should put them all in buckets or just transfer one by one with a fish net?

thanks for everything...these sight rocks

cichgirl
11-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Net is fine as long as the ph & temp match up.

Using any decorations/sand from the established tank will most certainly help keep down any cycle imbalances you'll encounter.