PDA

View Full Version : What to keep in a 38 gallon??

Darrenmmiami
10-29-2007, 12:06 AM
:wink:Im sure this question has been asked before but i needed to know what would be the best cichlids to keep in a 3 foot 38 gallon tank with lots of rock work?Right now i have 5 yellow tail acie's , 1 demasoni , 1 rock kirby , 1 trophus moori., 1 kubota botia , and 1 tiger botia and almost forgot orange albino bristle nose pleco...im amof moving the acies to my 55 gallon because i know they will get too big and oh yea 2 yellow labs all are under3 inches except for the rock kirby is full grown i think? ....please any suggestion welcome........

RustyNut
10-29-2007, 03:40 PM
Acei's might feel cramped even in a 55g... but as for the 38g...

You could do a colony of a single species of a mbuna, such as demasoni, or rusties and let them self populate the tank. Sometimes a catfish is needed to control population explosions. You should research the fish you want before hand and consider its adult size, and aggression level. You'll want to limit your males to only 1-2 in a colony, and you'll have to monitor aggression closely. Try to pick a species that stays small and claims small territories, you might squeeze 6-8 fish in there with excellent filtration.

Now if you want to try Tanganyikans, then there a few different fish that could work but the population would be even lower although their behaviors make up for it IMHO. Tangs are a little harder to keep since they are more delicate.

Darrenmmiami
11-02-2007, 11:48 PM
i brought home 3 brichadie 2delila or some thing like that and one i have never seen before looks like a n.brichardi but has red and black around the eye ???

Darrenmmiami
11-02-2007, 11:49 PM
and 3 yellow Msobo we will see what happens

RustyNut
11-03-2007, 04:23 AM
If those are N. Brichardi "Daffodil" and they begin to breed....(or any brichardi complex) try searching up "BRICHARDI DEATH SQUAD".....they are also Tangs, and might not appreciate being with the mbuna (Most of your others)

cichlidfanatic
11-03-2007, 07:35 AM
The Brichardi I had was a pest with the Mbuna, even being just one... tried to dominate a third of the tank.

Darrenmmiami
11-04-2007, 02:00 AM
well we will see who will prevail brichadie or mbuna i think maybe the brichadie are all male we will see !

RustyNut
11-04-2007, 06:09 AM
Another Vickster.... :rolleyes:

Darrenmmiami
11-05-2007, 01:33 AM
whats a vicster

Darrenmmiami
11-08-2007, 12:26 AM
well i added 3 more msobo (one turning male already) today so we will see how it pans out if i see any crazy aggression problems i will have to pull the brichadie out or at least two of them but so far so good i dont see any pairing up in there .... really the meanest one is the demasoni but he is equally aggressive to everyone .......is anyone even intrested in this or should i just stop posting????

cichlidfanatic
11-08-2007, 07:04 AM
A territorial Brichardi will even show your Demasoni who's boss. :)