PDA

View Full Version : Coconut shells, advice?

Murky Waters
10-25-2007, 02:19 PM
I just bought some coconut shell halves that I want to include in my tank (along with some more driftwood).

I am boiling the driftwood and I tossed the shells in as well to be boiled.

Those should be ok to use in my tank right?

I got a bright idea (ok, SOMETIMES they're bright!) and I am going to take one of those half shells and silicone some suction cups to it, and I'm going to stick it to the side of my tank. I figure it might be a good 'hiding' spot for some fish and it'll utilize some dead space.

Not sure if it'll work or not, but I'm going to try it. Who knows, maybe someone will claim it as their home? I'm going to put it about halfway up the tank, or maybe a bit lower towards the bottom.

Seedy
10-25-2007, 02:50 PM
They are A-OK to use in your tank. My Panaques like to eat them!

Many people have even gotten Tanganyikan Cichlids to breed in them.

Murky Waters
10-25-2007, 02:54 PM
Very cool!

Thanks Seedy!

So, now about attaching them to the tank, about halfways up or so, ever hear of anyone doing that?

The only reason I want to try it is because I also have 2 crayfish that prowl around, if anything ends up laying eggs, chances are they'll get eaten by the crays. I thought if I put some kind of shelter a bit higher up, they'd not get into it as easy and maybe be better protected should they decide to breed?

Crazy idea, I know, but I figure it's worth a shot?

Murky Waters
10-27-2007, 03:00 PM
Here is how my coconut project turned out! LOL

This is not a great front view, but you can see my little kenyi taking up residence in it... A little Red Zebra was checking it out last night as well. Stayed in there for a good 1/2 hour.
http://www.cichlidforums.com/postimages/2007-10-27/206709-001.jpg

And this is the side view. I have another coconut on the other end of the tank where a pair of jewels who have bonded have taken a bit of an interest in it.

http://www.cichlidforums.com/postimages/2007-10-27/206709-002.jpg
Just thought I'd share!

ercnan
10-27-2007, 03:34 PM
Good idea IMO. Use unused space for more territories. Can only help I think.
Might have to copy the idea (with your blessing of course).
:ok::ok:

Murky Waters
10-27-2007, 03:39 PM
But of course!:m:

I was just looking at my tank the other day and wondering what I could do to create more nooks and crannies and wondered instead of building out, as space is now limited, what would happen if I built up?

they seem to like it, quite a few fish have already checked them out. If nothing else, it just adds to things they can explore.

RustyNut
10-27-2007, 03:42 PM
I've done the same thing with scrap pvc pipe but I like the look of the shells better :ok:

Murky Waters
10-27-2007, 03:45 PM
And here I thought I was being original...:ugly1:

Do your fish use them often Rusty?

Seedy
10-27-2007, 04:13 PM
Cool. That would be great for Tanganyikan cave/substrate spawners, you would have a good chance of being able to get pictures of the developing fry.

RustyNut
10-27-2007, 06:23 PM
And here I thought I was being original...:ugly1:

Do your fish use them often Rusty?

Well your idea is original, just similar. :D

It took them a while to get used to the pvc but eventually they started using it. I think your idea is better.