PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Question

DogWalker
10-24-2007, 07:07 PM
Someone 6 hrs away wants to buy a fish from me, via a third party who would pick up here and deliver for them. I don't have breather bags, heat packs or bag buddies and am not going to rush out and buy that stuff just to sell one fish.

I've never driven 6 hrs before with fish in just a half filled ordinary bag of tank water (plus ad-hoc insulation). Would it be ok? I don't want to sell this fish if it's just going to be D.O.A. or something near that...

StructureGuy
10-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Should be no problem at all. Make sure the bag has 1/3 water and 2/3 air. Most club auctions around here last more than 6 hours.

Kevin

shell696
10-24-2007, 07:51 PM
Tell the person that is coming to bring them. I have had fish in the bags for over 3 hours and they were fine in plain bags from the store and they were fine.

DogWalker
10-24-2007, 09:49 PM
Thanks very much for the quick responses and insight Kevin & Shell. It turns out my question has become moot in very short order, but I'll keep your responses in mind should the situation arise again...

Regards.

tires
10-25-2007, 01:17 AM
you can also prep the fish by not feeding then a couple days before transport. this will aide in ammonia build up in bag via fish waste.

ercnan
10-27-2007, 02:15 PM
DW, I have heard of folks using coolers with bat. operated air pumps for longer jaunts.
I always figured to use an inverter and hob if I came into that situation.
Also could always stop half way to change a little water at a rest area (in the cooler and the facilities :)) provided you take a little dechlor. with you.
Food for future thought.

DogWalker
10-27-2007, 02:28 PM
Ercnan, thanks, that's all good advice, along with not feeding for a day or two beforehand. If I were transporting the fish myself I would certainly take some or all of those measures...

In this case though the buyer was getting a third party to do the tranporting for them, and for all I know that person may know or care zero about transporting live exotic fish. (Who knows, that six hr drive may have been extended to include a stop for dinner and who knows what else...).

Finally I just decided to extend the service life of a tank I was going to scrap, and kept the fish. :mrgreen:

ercnan
10-27-2007, 02:36 PM
Yeah, a third party, especially unknown, would make me nervous as well. Never know, and your rep. for the fishes health could come into play too.
Glad you kept the critter and extended a tank's, and possibly a fishies' life.