PDA

View Full Version : Water Test Kit Questions for my tank.

Marc1505
10-21-2007, 06:24 PM
I took some water tests tonight from a test kit I got from my LFS and found some interesting stuff. I got a pH of about 8, a general hardness (GH) of about 8, and a calcium hardness (KH) of about 8. Is that what my kennyi needs to thrive?

Also I got some new food too called Dainichi. I was tempted to go with the New Life Spectrum as I've heard that was good too. However my LFS said that Dainichi has some stuff in it that makes it as good as New Life Spectrum. My kennyi seems to like it over the tetramin flakes. Is it good stuff?

Also my kennyi has been in his new tank for the entire weekend, yet he's still swimming all OVER the glass VERY actively. Occasionally he'll stop, and go foraging among the plants, or go explore the two different caves in his tank.
Is this behavior normal? He wasn't nearly this active in my other tank. In the other tank he didn't go crazy against the glass like this?

So to summarize:

Should I be worried?
Are water conditions right?
Is the new food good stuff?

cichlidfanatic
10-21-2007, 07:04 PM
Hi Marc

Kenyi Tank Conditions: 72-82°F; pH 7.8-8.5; KH 10-20

I wouldn't worry too much but you might check into a aragonite-based substrate to keep the pH up.

Dainichi should be okay, you might also check into a spirulina flake.

Is he the only fish.. what size is the tank? The swimming around the tank is what they do when introduced to a new environment. He'll soon choose territory and call it home.

Marc1505
10-21-2007, 07:07 PM
Yeah he's the only fish, and it's a 10 gallon tank. He's only about an inch and a quarter long now.

Marc1505
10-21-2007, 07:08 PM
He looks like he's moving his mouth alot too like he's "breathing" or something. He was fine when he was in the one gallon, but I learned that cichlids and tiny tanks don't go well together.

cichlidfanatic
10-21-2007, 07:10 PM
He should be okay for now but you'll need a bigger tank soon. Kenyi can get up to 5 inches.

cichlidfanatic
10-21-2007, 07:13 PM
He looks like he's moving his mouth alot too like he's "breathing" or something. He was fine when he was in the one gallon, but I learned that cichlids and tiny tanks don't go well together.

You should having some moving water for oxygen, along with good filtration.

Marc1505
10-21-2007, 07:18 PM
I do, I got a whisper 10 to 20 gallon filter and a heater. Temperature is at 79 right now. Tank is really clean. Two caves to hide in and one plant. Anything I should test or no? Yeah he seems to be really spassing out right now.

Marc1505
10-21-2007, 07:49 PM
Do I need an air pump too or is the filter creating air also? It is one that does a waterfall sort of thing into the aquarium; sucking the water up and filtering it and spewing it back into the tank.

cichlidfanatic
10-21-2007, 08:25 PM
Do I need an air pump too or is the filter creating air also? It is one that does a waterfall sort of thing into the aquarium; sucking the water up and filtering it and spewing it back into the tank.

That should be fine. :)

Marc1505
10-21-2007, 10:07 PM
That should be fine. :)

So I don't actually need the bubbler then? I just went out and got one thinking it was an emergency, but if I don't need it I think I will take it back.

Marc1505
10-21-2007, 10:07 PM
So any clues to why he is spazzing out?

Marc1505
10-22-2007, 08:01 AM
Overnight with the installation of a bubbler, he quit spazzing so much and is actually hanging out in his caves and exploring the tank and moving gravel.