PDA

View Full Version : My plants are dying Help me please!

K_Labs
10-11-2007, 07:40 PM
My plants keep dying! Evertime I do a water change I use Plant Gro Iron Enriched Aquatic plant fertilizer. 0.15 - 0 - 0

Glaive
10-14-2007, 10:10 AM
What plants, what fish and what is your lighting?

K_Labs
10-14-2007, 10:48 AM
Plants I have no idea green ones. :) Mainly my hornwart. What fish? Just 1 holding demasoni (its my hospital tank) and 3 fry. What lighting, not sure 10 gallon setup came with a light already, just 1 flourecent.

BlkMagik79
10-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Hornwort requires lighting of 2.5-3 watts per gallon (25-30 watts for your 10g), if you are using the lighting that came with the tank you are probably only putting out 15 watts. Also, they say that hornwort will grow in any condition...But I have found differently!!! Without massive amounts of light mine has always turned to mush. They also prefer a neutral PH.

Are your plants turning to mush or do they look like they are diseased or being eaten? Also what type of substrate are you using?

K_Labs
10-15-2007, 11:03 AM
no substrate just a little bit of gravel bigger rocks. Yea they are turning to mush (other plants) my hornwart just sheds like crazy and makes a mess of the whole tank. Oh the guy at my Lfs told me to check the glass out. It was real dirty. I cleaned it with a razor blade and hopefully it will help. I did notice it got much brighter.

BlkMagik79
10-15-2007, 11:19 AM
My suggestion would be more lighting, or different plants...cleaning the side glass wouldn't make a difference in the amount or brightness of the light, just allow you to see it more clearly, but if it was glass tops between the light and the water then it will definitely help. I'm still not sure the light you currently have is putting out enough watts for the plants you have. I have found that MOST "bunch" plants tend to go to mush eventually (I seem to have great luck with moneywort and red ludwiga), however, I can easily grow java moss, java fern and most "swords"...Even in Tanganyika and Malawi water!!! I keep at least one plant in every tank, except for the peacocks (they just pull them up and throw them).

Heyguy74
10-15-2007, 11:26 AM
The above suggestions are correct when it comes to lighting. PH will also affect plants. If the plants you bought were grown in nuetral or acidic conditions, throwing them in a tank with a high ph usually will cause a die off. Plants are like fish with respect to ph tolerance. Any big or sudden change will affect them. They can be conditioned to a higher ph. The ph has to be brought up slowly.

K_Labs
10-15-2007, 01:26 PM
Oh. Is that why my walmart plants (bulbs) had no trouble and the ones that are already alive seem to die off quickly. My bulbs seem to flourish. I mean they are at the top of the tank within a month or 2. They start off as bulbs so it's ok to have the ph at 8.2?

BlkMagik79
10-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Correct...For PH that high I would only recommend java fern and "swords" or the bulbs...

Heyguy74
10-16-2007, 09:36 AM
I've had most plants that I have kept adjust to higher ph's. It just has to be done slowly. Another plant that does good in high ph's are the Cryptocoryne species. Its also a low light species.

K_Labs
10-16-2007, 03:04 PM
My demasoni is holding I can't wait... People keep saying that they strip the mother of the eggs? What does that mean and how do u do it? Do I need to own a egg tumbler? Is it a good idea? I have a mother that looks like she's holding but then again not so much (maybe early stages). So I seperated her and tried feeding her... She wouldn't eat! Another sign that she is holding. Right?

Hey check out my other link no one is looking at it and I want some honest opinions http://www.cichlidforums.com/showthread.php?t=27075

K_Labs
10-18-2007, 06:01 PM
I bought some stuff that I saw my LFS using on thier plant tank. It's called Kent Freshwater freshwater plant formula and Flouish excel organic carbon for the planted aquarium.

BlkMagik79
10-18-2007, 09:22 PM
I have never used any of the Kent products, however, the Florish line from Seachem is what we use.

K_Labs
11-02-2007, 02:51 PM
It's been a little over 2 weeks and I have seen an improvement in all of my tanks. I even managed to save 1 of the really bad ones. It got pretty bad there for a little bit the stem would turn black and then it would just turn to mush.

BlkMagik79
11-02-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm glad to hear that they are doing better!!! :)