PDA

View Full Version : Sand substrate and filter sponge...advice needed

GBORN
10-11-2007, 03:30 PM
I have sand substrate, so per advice on this forum I put a sponge at the bottom of my AC110 down tube to keep sand from getting up the tube into the impeller. However, the fishes 'orange-stringy poop' (for lack of a better term) can not get through so it is stuck to the sponge in the tank.

So, is the sponge necessary or do you clean it daily? It doesn't seem that the pool filter sand is getting stirred too much. The 'orange-stringy poop' on the sponge of the downtube is an eyesore:(. What do you all do? Thanks.

Seedy
10-11-2007, 04:10 PM
How far above the substrate is your intake? If it's more than an inch or two, you can probably go without the pre-filter as long as the sand is not getting sucked up.

GBORN
10-11-2007, 05:05 PM
The intake is a good 5 inches above substrate. I'll take the pre-filter off and see how it goes.

tahw
10-11-2007, 11:44 PM
I don't know what kind of fish you got but if they're anything like my malawis they'll make sure the sand gets to the intake tube wherever it is.

RustyNut
10-12-2007, 04:24 AM
Why not remove the eyesore and clean it when its getting ugly?

GBORN
10-12-2007, 08:34 AM
Why not remove the eyesore and clean it when its getting ugly?

I guess I could, it looks ugly daily. I had it on for one day, and it was an eyesore in the tank. So, it would be daily lifting out the HOB, cleaning the sponge, refilling the HOB, etc.

Do you clean it daily Rustynut, or just occasionally after a lot of accumulation? Thanks.