PDA

View Full Version : Alien species in local pond

Terence a. Milligan
09-14-2003, 11:19 AM
I teach a course called Aquatic Ecology and we have been studying a local pond and stream for 3 years. Much to our surprise, this year one of our initial tows with a large pocket seine brought up a fish that I had never seen before and I am reasonably sure it is a CICHLID.

I WOULD LIKE HELP IDENTIFYING THIS FISH!!!

It is about 6" long and when first caught had many green irregular lines along its "face" and also some red flecks on its sides. It may have had faint vertical stripes on its sides. The dorsal fin is typically cichlid and the tail is not particularly noteworthy. I looked at as many photos as I could on the internet and its "face" again looks most like a neolamprologous species from Malawi but does not have the same concave curved outline that was shown in the photo.

Any help in determining what species we have caught would be helpful. We do have a picture of it that is going to be digitized this weekend but I thought some of you experts could give me a website or two and maybe narrow down the species I should check.

Thanks in advance for anything pertinent!!!

Dr. Terence A. Milligan
River Dell Reg. Sr. H.S.
Oradell, NJ 07649

SGypsyMermaid
09-14-2003, 01:36 PM
i can't imagine what that fish is, but neolamprologus species are from tanganyika, not malawi. looking forward to seeing the photo.

aharris
09-14-2003, 02:13 PM
I didn't think that there were many if any neolamprologines that got to be 6."

SGypsyMermaid
09-14-2003, 02:19 PM
your alien fish is probably a species of sunfish (which closely resemble cichlids). see photo:

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/efish/families/images/jpegs/greensun.jpg

jonah
09-14-2003, 05:00 PM
That was my first thought too, but it would be easier with a picture.

Boilermaker
09-15-2003, 01:02 AM
I'm thinkin some sort of south or central american or an african riverine species, maybe a pike cichlid?
I would think the Dr. would have eliminated the possibility of sunfish or bluegill?

fOx
09-15-2003, 09:04 AM
If it's of the pike variety then it's not going to be alien...

jonah
09-15-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by fOx
If it's of the pike variety then it's not going to be alien...

Why not?:confused:

All cichlids (pike or not) are alien to New Jersey waters.

fOx
09-16-2003, 01:02 PM
Hmmm... let me clarify a pike is not alien to Ontario waters. Pike, pickerel, maskinonge and walleye are a native species. I would think that (given you are in the same hemisphere) that they would also be native to New Jersey. I think that (once again) I am getting confused with these laymans terms... a pike can be about four different species of fish. The fish that Boilermaker proposed is actually a Crenicichla marmorata Pellegrin or something from that species. It's not a pike (www.ontariopikefishing.com)...

fOx

SGypsyMermaid
09-16-2003, 02:24 PM
boilermaker said "pike cichlid".

jonah
09-16-2003, 05:36 PM
Yes, pike cichlids and pikes aren't the same thing. They are shaped similarly though. I think the Texas cichlid is probably the furthest northern species of cichilds and they're found near the Tex/Mex border.

aharris
09-16-2003, 06:04 PM
If this little critter is a cichlid, even a more northerly-dwelling neotropical one, wouldn't it be highly unlikely to thrive in a New Jersey winter?

jonah
09-16-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by aharris
If this little critter is a cichlid, even a more northerly-dwelling neotropical one, wouldn't it be highly unlikely to thrive in a New Jersey winter?

If it is a cichlid, then it would have been dumped in the local waters over the summer or late spring.

aharris
09-16-2003, 07:23 PM
That's what I meant. If it was a cichlid, it was dumped recently and probably wouldn't last til spring.

davoz
09-17-2003, 12:42 PM
Be nice if we had a picture

DonnieP
09-19-2003, 08:04 PM
Terence
Did your fish happen to look anything like like this fish? The discription you gave was pretty close.

http://www.cichlidforums.com/postimages/2003-09-19/16387-001.jpg