PDA

View Full Version : Messy Eaters

JDSalem,OR
09-11-2003, 12:50 AM
I HAVE 4 JACK DEMSEY CICHLIDS AND THEY ARE VERY MESSY EATERS HOW OFTEN SHOULD I DO A TANK CHANGE RIGHT NOW I AM DOING ABOUT 10-30 PERCENT CHANGE 1 PER WEEK IS THAT TO MUCH

Karl
09-11-2003, 04:27 AM
that sounds fine to me.

aharris
09-11-2003, 07:14 AM
Your water changes sound about right. If your'e really concerned, you can vacuum about 1/3 of the gravel every time you water change, or if you have the space and do the research, you may be able to find a scavenger fish like a catfish of some sort that will help clean up the scraps from your Dempseys.

I feed a homemade mix to my Tangs and it disintegrates pretty quickly. They clean up really well, but I make sure I both vacuum some with the weekly changes, and I have a large group of petricola cats to scavenge (they get fed shrimp pellets at night just to make sure they get enough).

JDSalem,OR
09-11-2003, 09:42 PM
Do The Demseys Eat The Shrimp Too

aharris
09-12-2003, 07:19 AM
I don't have Dempseys. I have large Tanganyikans. They are messy eaters though, so I thought I'd comment on how I handle it.

My Tangs do nibble on the pellets, but I wait until lights out to put them in. That keeps the eating to a minimum except for the catfish who aren't at all phazed by darkness.

chc
10-07-2003, 09:41 AM
It's difficult to change too much water with JD's as long as the tank has stabilized (cycled, etc.). As noted above, just don't vacuum the gravel completely (1/3rd as recommended above). Also, you may not want to change filter cartridges at the same time. What type of filtration do you have?

JDSalem,OR
10-08-2003, 06:53 AM
I have a top fin power filter works great moves alot of water. why shouldnt i change the filter when i do a water change

chc
10-08-2003, 04:22 PM
....... because a great deal of the bacterial colony you need is within the filter cartridge (assuming that's the type of filter you have). Is the Top Fin a cartridge based power filter? If so, when you throw out the cartridge, you throw out the bacteria. Is there more than one cartridge per filter?

One reason Emperors and Aquaclears are good is because you do not have to discard the media. The Aquaclear sponge is just rinsed in old tank water, and the Emperor's biowheel is never cleaned.

By the way, the amount of water flow is not always in correlation with the quality of the filtration. Biologically based filters (sponges, wet/drys, etc.) do not need high water flow to carry out their processes. High water flow does help to keep particulate matter in the water column, thereby improving mechanical filtration, but it is biological filtration that makes water suitable for fish....... they don't care what the water LOOKS like.

JDSalem,OR
10-09-2003, 03:14 PM
Hmm...... sounds good that is very convincing thank u im gunna do some research and get one thanks. chc