PDA

View Full Version : best cichlid food

seamonkey
09-10-2003, 07:25 AM
okay, i have been feeding my afican cic's green flake that i buy bulk from the LFS. I was bored on day and bought some Omega One Super Veggie Kelp Pellets from another smaller petco type store.
Now, I swear that my fish are coloring up faster.

My question is:: What is the best food for a great color up.

aharris
09-10-2003, 11:19 AM
It depends on the fish and your experience.

Blue and green coloration is helped by feedings with spirulina. Reds are brought out by more beta carotene.

Different fish need different diets. Some are carnivorous and some are vegetarian with others falling somewhere in between. Ideally, you will find out what sorts of things you should feed your fish and then provide them with those things in a variety of different ways.

What brand is the green flake? Some brands are better than others and some foods your fish will like more.

I keep on hand for my fish the following:

HBH Graze, HBH Cichlid Attack pellets, HBH shrimp pellets, Tetra Crisp flakes, frozen mysis, frozen brine, frozen daphnia, frozen bloodworms, frozen krill, and homemade shrimp mix.

fOx
09-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Anything by Hikari is quality... also Sally's Emerald Entre is a great prepared frozen food that my fish really fight for....

fOx

matt1066
09-11-2003, 05:35 PM
Although I have a personal issue with Tetra, I would recommend Tetra color bits. Oh, I almost forgot New Life Spectrum cichlid pellets, awesome!!!

Regards,

Matt

Karl
09-11-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by matt1066
Although I have a personal issue with Tetra, I would recommend Tetra color bits. Oh, I almost forgot New Life Spectrum cichlid pellets, awesome!!!

Regards,

Matt
i also use tetra color bits tetra pellets wardley pellets. but i think hikari is the best from what i hear.

angelhf13
09-11-2003, 05:53 PM
I picked up some Omega One color flakes about a month ago and they really helped bring out the color in my Jewels and my Saulosis.
I feed Omega One flake and pellets as the primary food for my adults, and use Hikari first bites and baby brine shrimp for my fry.

aharris
09-11-2003, 07:35 PM
I'm somewhat limited in local selection. I don't think I've ever seen Omega One at any of the local stores I've visited.

fishmommy
09-12-2003, 04:35 PM
I primarily feed frozen food that I make myself. 50% peas, 50% shrimp; liquid vitamins, and spirulina powder - put in a blender and freeze into cubes.
I do feed pellets a couple times a week - New Life Spectrum!

truckpoetry
09-16-2003, 02:27 PM
Mine are all on the small Hikari Cichlid Gold pellets, with some occasional flake that they steal from my Danios, and spirulina wafers. I also will occasionally feed zucchini (parboiled and skinned) or frozen green peas to them for variety. They truly LOVE zucchini.

Cameron