PDA

View Full Version : driftwood

thomas
10-10-2002, 09:21 PM
I've got a nice looking piece of driftwood that's been out in my yard. Is there anything I could do to clean it up enough to put in my tank?

fish-eyed-fool
10-10-2002, 11:49 PM
I'm no expert, but I would suggest soaking the wood in tank-safe water for several hours. By "tank-safe", I mean water that is of a similar pH and general chemical composition of your current aquarium setup (ie - free from chlorine and/or chloramine).

This may help to expell any undesierable chemicals/compounds that may have accumulated in the wood after being in your yard.

jonah
10-11-2002, 06:23 PM
Ask yourself, "Have I ever sprayed pesticide anywhere near that wood?". If the answer is no, I'd boil it in a big pot of water. If it's too big for a pot I'd soak it in a tub with a bleach/water solution for about a week. Then rinse it off real good, followed by soaking in clean water for another week. Then I'd stick a feeder fish in the tub for a few days with the wood. If the fish doesn't die, it's probably safe.

I know it sounds like a lot of hassle, but fish are expensive.

If the answer to the pesticide question is yes, I wouldn't even bother. Not worth the risk to me.

jnorris
10-12-2002, 10:13 AM
You can also use a high salt mixture to soak it in. Also if you boil water and then pour it on the wood it should kill most organisms. If you use salt you should soak it in fresh water afterwards.

Keep in mind wood will lower your PH (decaying matter is acidic in nature)

jnorris
10-12-2002, 10:13 AM
oh ya use aqaurium salt (not table salt)

thomas
10-13-2002, 10:56 PM
I've never used any kind of pesticides or chemicals outside, but then again I've only owned the house for about 2 1/2 years. Thanks for the tips.

theoctober
12-24-2002, 02:33 PM
I heard that wood in your tank can lower ph, so you might want to watch that, or compensate with oyster shell...
(but I'm not expert!!)

jnorris
12-24-2002, 05:06 PM
Also, You may get leaching from the wood which will cause your water to turn brownish. Driftwood is more ideal for American Cichlid tanks. You may consider lace rock or holey rock instead.

hookem82
03-09-2004, 10:58 AM
hey guys. I heard something about wood being bad for cichlid tanks just after I put some in my first ever fish tank. If you don't mind, could you maybe let me know if I should take it out, if it is really ok for the tank. I have 8 salosi in the tank if that makes a difference. thanx for helpin' out a newbie.

YourPalCM
03-09-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by hookem82
hey guys. I heard something about wood being bad for cichlid tanks just after I put some in my first ever fish tank. If you don't mind, could you maybe let me know if I should take it out, if it is really ok for the tank. I have 8 salosi in the tank if that makes a difference. thanx for helpin' out a newbie.

As noted above, wood can lower the pH which is bad for Cichlids which like higher pH. How long as the wood been in your tank? If it's been in there for a while, and you have no problems and your pH levels remain acceptable, then I'd say don't worry about it. If you put it in recently, I'd just take it out and not risk it. But if you decide to keep it in, you should definitely test your levels daily and if you see them dropping, take it out ASAP.

2petuniasmom
03-09-2004, 02:28 PM
I would follow jonah's suggestions. Wood is so very pourous, especially drift wood. It could soak quite a long time before contaminates that are deeper in the wood are released. I would definetly test with a fish you consider disposable outside of your aquarium at the very least.
Julie