PDA

View Full Version : Sand-Safe Fish?

MaxRady
07-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Hello everyone,

I would like to know if the fish i have now are OK to put in an aquarium with sand instead of gravel. The fish i have are as follows:

1 Pleco
1 Midas Cichlid
1 Dempsey-Convict
1 Bumblebee Catfish
1Rubber Lip Pleco
1 Tiger Oscar
1 Kenyi Cichlid
1 Black Convict Cichlid
1 Unknown African Cichlid (looks like camouflage)
And this fish which i dont know the name of:

DogWalker
07-30-2007, 05:52 PM
The fish in the picture is a Leporinus (not a cichlid, but an interesting fish nonetheless). The 'unknown african that looks like camouflage' could be a Nimbochromis venustus, but we'd have to see a picture to know. The substrate (sand) is fine and will not be your concern here. You have some fairly agressive cichlids (african and new world) with different dietary and environmental requirements. What size tank is this, and what are your water parameters?

MaxRady
07-30-2007, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the leporinus ID! I looked up pictures of the nimbocri-thing and i dont think that it is the fish i have....mine is longer and not as round as the ones i saw when i googled the name. The tank i have is a 75 gallon (dont worry, not all the fish are going in there) but are you sure the plecos are safe? i heard that i might not be able to have plecos in sand. and as far as water parameters are concerned, well i dont quite follow what you mean. are you talking about my levels as far as nitrate and nitrite and what-not?

DogWalker
07-30-2007, 09:36 PM
You want no amonia or nitrites for sure and low nitrates, but I was thinking hardness and PH. I've never heard that plecos and sand are a no-no, but I'm not a pleco expert.

Ususally mixing africans and new worlds is not recommended. They don't tend to get along and often have different dietary and PH/hardness requirements.

The fact that you have only one of each fish on your list would reduce agression from breeding, but just the Oscar and Midas together will probably be too much for a 75. From everything I've read that Midas will terrorize/eliminate just about everything else in that tank if he manages to grow big enough to take over... I think you need to research the requirements of each & every one of the fish on that list before deciding on the stock list for that tank. Pick either africans or americans for starters. Decide on one type of fish you really want to keep. People on this site will then be glad to offer suggestions as to what might work with them.

Good luck.

MaxRady
07-31-2007, 03:32 PM
Yeah, well the midas is still very small, and is not with the oscar right now. However, most of the other fish ARE with the oscar, and they are doing just fine together. They have been living together for quite some time now. My oscar did have a rather unpleasant experience with eating a pleco....it couldnt get it out of it's mouth for about 48 hours, and then when it did get it out, he wasnt able to fully close his jaw for a week. His mouth is a little crooked right now but he hasnt eaten anything since then(i think he learned his lesson) but thank you for the information on the sand and i will get some pictures posted when i get the tank set up. The cabinet stand it came with needs repainting and i need to make a couple of canopy's for it. Thanks again for all your help!

LuckyCricketMafia
07-31-2007, 04:03 PM
I have two plecos in tanks with sand, they do fine

fishyfactoids
07-31-2007, 08:08 PM
No plecos with sand? Yet another reason not to trust the internet. Erm...except for this sight, of course...

CHBGator
08-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Look at where fish live in the wild. try and find a lake, pond, river or stream that doesn't have sand or mud. fish will actually do better in a sand bottom tank than they do with gravel.