PDA

View Full Version : Softwater/Hardwater Q.

UncleFishMan
07-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Just got off the phone with this kid working at the local water quality store. I am looking for an RO unit.
He quoted me $750 for their cheapest RO unit!
I told him that I only needed it for my aquariums to soften the water.
He told me that RO units will not make the water soft but they have water softeners that would do that.
I am getting the impression that he is not correct. From my understanding, Hard water is defined as high amounts of dissolved solids like calcium and magnesium.
That is what the RO unit will remove, among other trace elements, so therefore your water would be classified as softwater. Right?

Does the kid need a lesson in water chemistry or am I missing something here?

RustyNut
07-30-2007, 01:58 PM
For our purposes you are right..... but the kid isn't entirely wrong....

Anyways, there are many much easier ways of softening your water than an expensive RO system....

Just as we have aragonite to add to our filters to increase hardness/buffer there are peat products that work the same way to soften water... much more cost effective than $750 worth of RO equipment!

UncleFishMan
07-30-2007, 02:10 PM
Thanks Rusty! You mentioned "Peat Products" I guess you are talking about peat moss. I thought that just lowered the pH.

parhaam
07-30-2007, 04:16 PM
the kid is wrong...RO unit will decrease DH to zero.
the cheaper ways are:
-mixing enough distillated water with your area's water till you get the right DH.
- using cathodic resin....a dark orange[or bright brown] pawder that looks like sand.you can put it in a fine mesh net[even socks]inside your filter box. but just notice that:
-never don't fill filter box with dry resin because after entering it to water the volume of resin will increase and it's possible that you lose your filter box.firstly wet the resin and then use suitable amount.
-after achieving the right DH ,you should turn off the filter[but resin will still work but it's negligible] or carry it out.
good luck:ok: