PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart's African Cichlids

CICH-Ass
07-24-2007, 09:37 PM
When I am at Wal-Mart and I'm looking at their African Cichlid tank, what exactly am I looking at?

RustyNut
07-25-2007, 04:20 AM
Hybrids most likely.... :)

Those fish come from fish farms that breed an entire group of cichlids in big ponds with no real controls for preventing cross-breeding, which is why so many retail chains have a lot of poor quality fish.

Do you really want a Yellow lab with 1/64th auratus in him :twisted:

tahw
07-25-2007, 09:20 AM
If it looks pretty why not? It's not like he's competing and needs purebreeds, or does he?

The only problem I have with walmart is that I don't know if I'm buying a healthy fish, but you could say the same of any store.

DogWalker
07-25-2007, 11:06 AM
While a good find is not impossible at Walmart, historically the odds of getting an unhealthy, hybrid or just plain mislabelled fish at Walmart have been much higher than at just about any dedicated aquarium store (even though many of those aren't perfect either).

That being said, following a spate of bad publicity many of the worst Walmart stores are supposed to have recently closed their fish deparments. 'Too many floaters' gave more of a negative impression on the store overall than the fishroom part of the business was worth.

Ideally, you should always do your homework before buying fish anywhere, but it's all the more important to know your stuff beforehand if you're going to buy fish from places like Walmart. Even if they are healthy and you don't care about them potentially being hybrids, just picking fish from a 'mixed african' tank may not result in a compatible mix. They may get along ok cramped in the store's tank, but you're changing the playing field by selecting a few and putting them in your tank (where they will grow, breed and claim territory).

Just my 2 cents.

tahw
07-25-2007, 01:16 PM
Actually the walmarts in my area did close the fish departments, now I know why.

RustyNut
07-25-2007, 01:36 PM
not here... they are still going strong!

CHBGator
07-25-2007, 02:54 PM
closed here where I live in Ceveland . I don't think half the people working there could tell the difference between a dog and a fish. I bought 3 Green spotted puffers there once as algae eaters for a dollar something each =)

MisanthropeKitty
07-25-2007, 03:25 PM
my mom works at walmart and she said they are "phasing out" the aquariums across the country

navygirl76
07-25-2007, 05:14 PM
i was just in walmart here in ohio the other day, and i always buzz by the cichlids. In general, all of the fish are nasty looking, have ich or dying. The africans here look like just hybrid trash, and i couldnt even tell what some of them were supposed to be! (not that im a pro--im still green behind the ears haha)

SabrinaD
07-25-2007, 06:51 PM
Would that be "still DRY behind the ears"? LOL

aharris
07-25-2007, 08:45 PM
Occasionally, I take pity on a Wally-World fish. I almost picked up an OB Zebra once. They must just have put them in the tank because they were still healthy, active, and plump.

Of course, I also cringe when I see the catfish with ich and the little kid pointing out how that fish has white spots (and not in a disease way either, but in a "that's a black fish with white spots" sort of way). I could have stepped in and said something, but I didn't want to interfere with their day as they didn't look like they were buying, only looking.

Matt V
07-26-2007, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by MisanthropeKitty
my mom works at walmart and she said they are "phasing out" the aquariums across the country

thank the gods!

now if we could just phase out the wal-marts...

tahw
07-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Walmart rules, why would you want to phase it out?

TimmaH
07-26-2007, 07:46 PM
Man I cant stand wal-mart. And in phoenix, NO WAY! HAHA! Sorry Tahw. My mother works for Kmart. but the K-marts here is AZ suck too. kinda sad.

But as for the fish dept. Yeah Its sad seeing them poor fish dying like that. Everytime im in I see atleast 10 to 20 dead fish.

I dont care for gold fish at ALL! But I even feel bad for them.

CICH-Ass
07-27-2007, 08:45 AM
I'm going out today to the 2 LFS that I have around me and see what my choices are. I'll be back with a full report and maybe you guys can help me with a decision.

CICH-Ass
07-27-2007, 04:15 PM
It appears that I can either pick from the African Cichlids at Wal-Mart or the African Cichlids at the LFS. They all look pretty to my untrained eye. I have a 55G and it looks like that I will be stocking it with hybrids because I don't have much, if any, choice.
Any advice for my first purchase? The 55G is cycled so that's not an issue. AM 0, NITRI 0, NITRA 10, PH 7.2-7.4., 80F, gravel substrate, probably need some areas to hide?

Northernblades
07-27-2007, 04:26 PM
6 yellow labs. good starting point.

55 gallons? maybe 4-6 taiwan reef (also very common)

CICH-Ass
07-27-2007, 04:28 PM
I have no idea what the fish are that I am looking at, that's the problem. The tank just says "African Cichlid". I have seen yellow ones but I've also seen blue and purplish-green. I guess just go pick out the ones I like and let it rip, huh?

navygirl76
07-28-2007, 06:46 AM
cichass... you could always order fish online. i have done this and stocked both of my tanks with online fish. they are pretty cheap to buy, but the overnight shipping is usually at least 40-50 bucks (depending on the size and quantity of what you buy).Overnight shipping is usually where they get you on the cost haha. i have had really great results, never a casualty and will always get most of my fish that way.. that way you know exactly what you are getting, and if you have any questions about compatibility you can reseach the breeds you like, or just email that seller and they will tell you what would work with your tank. I always find the fish at my lfs (which is petsmart--the ONLY fish place in my town) are very overpriced.

fishyfactoids
07-28-2007, 07:38 AM
Personally, I second navygirl. If you're looking for a good sight, try liveaquaria.com. They don't specialize in cichlids, but their fish are always incredibly healthy...if a bit pricey. And just about the only fish store where I live (that isn't half an hour away) is Petco - but I keep lucking out there. I got 5 Beckford's pencilfish there a few years ago, and they just died from old age. No sickness! And I got my convict there. No signs of disease, not even a ripped fin (then again, considering that he's a convict he's probably giving the ripped fins).

navygirl76
07-29-2007, 08:13 AM
if you are looking for africans, i ordered twice from bluegrass cichlids( www.bluegrasscichlids.com). they are based in Ky. they have a website, and he deals with almost strictly africans--even has combo packs of fish that you can buy that are supposed to be compatible. this is the only place i have ordered from, and the guy who runs it (eddie) replies to your emails fast. His fish range from 3-5 bucks a piece.. which is cheap, but i urge you to do the overnight shipping. All of my babies arrived very active and healthy--and hungry! i havent ordered from anyone else online, but when i get my dream 200 gallon i probably will look around..