PDA

View Full Version : Filter stopped running overnight

UncleFishMan
07-13-2007, 11:55 AM
I am almost done cycling the tank. Ammonia levels have dropped to a safe level and nitrites are peaking.
The AquaClear filter stopped running overnight. Bad Storm here in Stillwater, Oklahoma last night. This morning I had to take a toothpick and touch the propellers to jumpstart it.
Since it was plugged in, the water in the filter was quite warm. Will this kill the beneficial bacteria in the foam filter?

cichgirl
07-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Only water testing will tell. Hopefully you'll be alright. We just lost our power for 19 hours & I had just fed the oscars a few minutes before. Their water was in rough shape when the power finally came back on... But after a water change they were fine and their tank bounced back easily.

UncleFishMan
07-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the reply! The motor that runs the filter was what was making the whole filter housing almost hot. I wonder what temperature it would take to kill off the biological filter. At least your tank was cycled. Mine is in the final stages. Low Amonia and High Nitrite.

ATG204
07-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by cichgirl
Only water testing will tell. Hopefully you'll be alright. We just lost our power for 19 hours & I had just fed the oscars a few minutes before. Their water was in rough shape when the power finally came back on... But after a water change they were fine and their tank bounced back easily.

:yikes:

glad to hear no one's fish got hurt! we've had a couple power outages here, nothing serious but im almost considering a back up battery to run just a pump...just finished reading a huge thread about it one of the salty forums.

we spend so much time and money on livestock (more so in sw) but no one really factors in the power dependency issue we have. when someone goes out and starts to put together an aquarium set up, most of the time back up battery doesn't even cross the customers mind. i'm very surprised more aquatic companies don't push stuff like this on us, they could make a killing.

UncleFishMan
07-13-2007, 02:53 PM
Great idea! My power did come back on but the filter's impeller did not start after the power came back. I had to tap the impeller to get it to spin and added a little tank water to get the suction going. The motor heated up the HOB so the water got pretty warm, just wondering if the hot water killed the bacteria in the filter. Its still a new setup though. Just hate to wait other 3 to 4 weeks to get the cycle going again.

ATG204
07-13-2007, 03:02 PM
you could always grab a bottle of cycle or biospira (SP?) to help keep that cycle going. sometimes my ac's get junked up and the impeller will stop, and those motor's can get super hot. not sure how this effect's the bacteria...never pondered that one before

i'll try to find that thread about back up battery's and such and post the link for you to read, some people have pretty interesting idea's

UncleFishMan
07-13-2007, 03:08 PM
Thanks ATG!

ATG204
07-13-2007, 04:43 PM
no problem-o man

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65251&hl=back+up+battery

these intelligent folks talk about the issue pretty thoroughly and post lots of tasty links so no need to start a new thread, hope it gives you a couple ideas.

:ok:

ATG204
07-13-2007, 04:46 PM
And to answer your question about the heat/cycle

"The temperature for optimum growth of nitrifying bacteria is between 77-86 F (25-30 C).

Nitrifying bacteria will die at 120 F (49 C)"

taken from

http://www.bioconlabs.com/nitribactfacts.html

Good to know!

UncleFishMan
07-13-2007, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the link! Nice read. There is lots of good info on the inner workings of the NO2 cycle.

leonard jackson
07-15-2007, 12:13 PM
hey i was thinking bout getting a new tank for some of my cichlids some like a 125gallon..i have 11 cichlids i wanna put four of my ocars in the new tank...how many do you suggest i put in there with them?...or can i even put anymore in with them?

UncleFishMan
07-15-2007, 06:12 PM
Sorry man. I have not had Oscars in years. I guess it depends on how big they are and what other types of fish you have.
You said you have eleven fish. what are they? What is the size of the tank you have them in now?
You could probably get more info from poeple that would know alot more than me if you started a new thred. I wish I could help.

cich1
07-15-2007, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by leonard jackson
hey i was thinking bout getting a new tank for some of my cichlids some like a 125gallon..i have 11 cichlids i wanna put four of my ocars in the new tank...how many do you suggest i put in there with them?...or can i even put anymore in with them?

i agree i think you should start a new thread.:)

that being said i say if you get the 125 put 2 of the oscars in there and take the others back to the lfs. depending on what else you've got you may not be able to put anymore in the 125 except maybe some target fish. also like what has already been said it depends on the size of your fish currently, but 2 full grown oscars will fill out a 125 nicely on their own.

sorry about going off topic here UncleFishMan.

cichgirl
07-16-2007, 06:37 AM
How is your tank doing UncleFishMan?

UncleFishMan
07-16-2007, 07:24 AM
Nitrites are still off the charts. Cherry Red is the highest read on the color chart and that is where is has stayed since before I started this thread. I added the product "cycle" about 15 hrs ago to see if that would give it a boost. Still no drop in NO2.

Glaive
07-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Pay attention to the fish, what are they doing?

Have your LFS test your water, bring them about a cup.

If they verify that the nitrites are where you suspect or your fish are behaving differently (ie. rapid breathing or gasping near the surface) then I would suggest 1 teaspoon of kosher/aquarium salt per ten gallons.

UncleFishMan
07-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Thanks Glaive. Yes, I did add salt a few days ago. the fish seem fine. No rapid breathing. NO2 confirmed high at LFS. I will continue testing. Been testing every 12 hrs. So the next test will be around 7PM.

ATG204
07-16-2007, 12:22 PM
what kind of fish do you have?

UncleFishMan
07-16-2007, 01:16 PM
Just some starter fish I pulled from my nephew's tank. Guppies: 2 Males and 4 Females and a Betta. Cant wait to get it going I want some Apistogrammas. But I still need to get an RO unit installed. Maybe some Bolivian Rams too.

leonard jackson
08-01-2007, 04:01 PM
hi...i wanna know what can i do to keep my fish tank clear?...i have been doing my water changes once a week and using clarity {water clarifier} but it still keep getting real cloudy and dengey looking...it really just started doing this! i was wondering can you tell me a solution for this......thank you!

RustyNut
08-01-2007, 06:15 PM
what color is the cloudiness?

I'd stop using the clarifier.....

leonard jackson
08-01-2007, 07:47 PM
THE CLOUDINESS IS KINDA GREENISH LOOKING....

RustyNut
08-02-2007, 05:13 AM
Well green is an algae bloom. Algae is the usually the result of too much light, too much Nitrate, or too much phospherous... or any combination.

You'll have to check your water parameters and let us know what your nitrates are at, and also if your tank receives direct sunlight and how many hours per day the tank gets light (Real or artificial).

A tank in direct sunlight will grow algae, you really can't stop it... However limiting light to LESS than 12 hours a day can help. I like to keep my nitrates below 40ppm though anything below 100ppm should be ok, the lower the better.

Lastly, you can cause algae growth from overfeeding. I would try reducing light, reducing feeding, and increasing water changes to get the problem under control. If that doesn't work then you may have to resort to other measures to control it.

tahw
08-02-2007, 05:11 PM
What about brown algae? What makes that grow?

RustyNut
08-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Brown algae is really Diatoms which are not plants, but photosynthetic animals which use silica to build upon. Pretty much the same things that cause green algae also cause brown algae, though with brown you can have too much light actually killing it off. Brown algae is usually only a problem in newly established tanks that have no established green algae yet. Green algae out competes brown algae for resources and so the brown dies off and the green then takes over... There are many different types of green algae too, as well as some bacteria that looks like algae but isn't.... (and its really bad to find in your tank!)

Algae 201 is across the hall... :D

UncleFishMan
08-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Is this the new tank the 125 gal you were talking about? Or the old tank with eleven fish?

If it's the new tank, the only true way to get it to clear up is let it cycle. Could take 3 to 6 weeks. The stuff you buy at the store to boost your Bacteria might get it kicked in but based on my tank getting it's cycle going. It's a waste of money. my tank took about 4 weeks to get it cycled and that is about average cycle time. so the fancy stuff at the LFS to "Speed up the cycle", I'm not so sold on those products.
So if you are getting the brown stuff in the new tank, let it cycle put some crap fish in there like danio's and let it cycle.

Drop some Amazon Swords Plants in there or some hardy fast growing plants. throw a batch of guppies in and start up a small 2 generation colony of guppies so that your Cichlids will have a snack once in a while....
Ohh crap I forgot you have the monster size oscars. (that is what I have done with my tank. Cycled it with gups so that when I load my Dwarfs into the tank they will have a steady supply of snacks)

forget the guppies... lol. crap and the plants too.
i guess the oscars could have a salad on some guppies when they get introduced to their new tank.

If its the old tank you may need to do a bold water change 30 to 50%/gravel vac.
If you have an HOB filter make sure you clean that, the sponges. But clean it with your Aquarium water you just siphoned out.
my 2 cents...

RustyNut
08-03-2007, 07:41 AM
UFM - you're dead right about the "speed up the cycle" products you find on the shelf... complete waste of money.

Bio-Spira on the other hand, a refrigerated package of live bacteria IS a product that works instantly and as advertised.