PDA

View Full Version : Salt

Azballa7
07-12-2007, 10:14 AM
I have salt build ups all over my tank from adding Ocean salt to it for my African Cichlids. I have tried scrubbing and removing it but it just doesn't seem to come off. Is there any chemicals or something that I can use to remove it??

Also is adding salt into the tanks bad for the Africans cichlids?? How much am I supposed to even really add per gallon?

ATG204
07-12-2007, 10:37 AM
ocean salt is for reef/salt water tanks, african cichlids are from the rift lakes in africa. most people (if they add salt to their cichlid tanks) will use aquarium salt.

you're experiencing salt creep. try using a vinegar/water solution to get rid of it.

i would stop adding the ocean salt as it doesnt evaporate and is probably just building up as you add more.

someone who keeps africans can probably give you a better recommendation for which salt to use/dosage.

Glaive
07-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Salt is typically used for medicinal purposes. If you are using a reef buffer then try adding crushed coral to a filter.

PEM
07-15-2007, 10:08 AM
One rounded tablespoonful per 5 gallons of aquarium water. For most freshwater aquarium salts. Only add salt to newly added water as it dose not evaporate.