PDA

View Full Version : Newbie....29 Gal.

cichdave
08-31-2003, 07:19 PM
I have recently got in to the whole cichlid craze. I have bought a 29 gal. tank, set it up. and now have 3 cichlids in it.

The first is a red zebra
second a blue kenyi, the third a bumble bee. All get 5 inches in length. MY question is, is that to many for a 29 gal. tank.
they are very happy now.

all opinions are appreciated

Mbuniac
08-31-2003, 07:33 PM
Welcome cichdave,
I raised 8 mbuna in a 29 until they were about 3", by then it was, "too crowded". Although I have had a number of kenyii, Maylandia lombardoi (male and female) I am not familiar with a Blue Kenyii. I have a 2 yr. old bumble bee, Maylandia crabro that is 7"+. So if yours is a male I wouldn't count on him stopping at 5". Three mbuna are not crowding your tank, in fact I would consider a few more. IMHO.
Sam

angelhf13
09-05-2003, 08:36 PM
I have 6 mbuna in one of my 29's. All ranging from 3 to 4 inches. They have done very well, and have been together since they were less than 2 inches. In my experience so far, a slightly overstocked african tank is better than an understocked one if you can put the time into frequent water changes and cleaning. I do mean slightly, i would never suggest more than 6 four inch mbuna in a 29. The more fish, the more the aggression gets spread out, instead of directed to one certain fish it seems. I have what would probably be concidered an overstocked 55, but Ive not had as much problems with aggression since I added more fish and more hiding spaces. ......there are 14 mbuna in my 55...only 3 of them are adults though (3 to 4"), the rest are 1 and a half to 2 and a half inches. So far, so good, though Im sure I'll have to get another tank once the little ones get bigger!