PDA

View Full Version : glass tank repairs

fishmommy
08-30-2003, 07:14 AM
well, the bottom seal on one of my glass 75s let go last night.

I am about to embark on a new adventure: tank repair! :nervous:
It's an Oceanic, and I intend to take the bottom trim off, locate the leak, take out the affected panel of glass by cutting the silicone, cleaning all the edges, sticking the panel back in with silicone, and then re-beading the inside seams.
If y'all have any advice I'd love to hear it :)

let me just say that the smileys on this site are totally great!
:dance:

merlyn2221
08-30-2003, 11:27 PM
Have you contacted Oceanic. They are usually very helpful when it comes to things like this. I dropped the glass lid into a 40hex I set up recently and took out a whole bunch of chunks of glass, as well as trashing the lid. I called them to find out if it was still ok to fill the tank and if I could get a new lid. They were very helpful.

fishmommy
08-31-2003, 05:30 PM
well, I got the bottom trim cut off, and managed to remove the bottom glass from the tank without breaking anything *phew!*
Now I am removing all the silicone, including all the inside seams on the tank.
It's sucking....very.....alot. Not how I intended to spend my Labor Day Weekend, but such is life.

Mbuniac
08-31-2003, 06:25 PM
Be generous with the silicone, force it into the seam as much as possible. You can always use a single edge razor blade to cut of any excess later. Make your bead as smooth as you can, but remember that it will be covered by substrate so who's gonna know:confused: Your fish won't tell! A popsickle stick or your finger works pretty well unless you want to invest in the proper glazer's knife. LOL.
Sam