PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Brown Algae

J-Aqua
06-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Alright I do water changes 2 times a week. However, everytime I have to scrub some brown algae off the back and both sides of the aquarium. Its super annoying (haha). Is their any remedy to get rid of the brown algea. Its getting to the point where its getting on my fake plants and IMO it looks ugly and dirty.

Lighting is on for 12hrs a day 12hrs off, and when the lights are off its almost 100% dark with some light coming in the room but not much. My lighting is a 48" "CoralReef Aqautic" lighting with 120 watts. I forgot what type the bulbs are but it releases a blue'ish purple light in the tank. Any suggestions or help would be awesome! Thanks again.

J

Over_Stocked
06-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Brown algae is from free silicates in teh water. Do lots of water changes. How long has this tank been up? What kind of substrate?

Seedy
06-11-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Over_Stocked
Brown algae is from free silicates in teh water. Do lots of water changes. How long has this tank been up? What kind of substrate?

...What if the tap water is the source of the silicates?

OverStocked is on the right track, "Brown Algae" is caused by Diatoms and they require silica to build their "shells"...

RustyNut
06-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Is your tank fairly newly setup? Usually brown algae starts growing and green follows it... I like the look of algae everywhere in my tank except the front glass, but I do have a cleaning crew to manage it.

Avoid lights in the 2k-6k spectrums to keep algae at a minimum and avoid direct sunlight at all costs. 12on/12off is a good practice, but you can cut it down if algae is problematic.

Be careful not to over feed as this can play a large role in algae blooms.

You can get a Bristle Nosed Pleco or a Rubber lipped pleco to help control both the brown (diatoms) and green alga. They do well with most cichlids and eat both types with zest.

J-Aqua
06-11-2007, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the replies. The tank is faily new, it has been up since the begining of april. The filter media, or bio-balls ect. are not. The filters are from my old cycled (1 yr old) tank. I moved from a 55 to a 75gal tank. The substrate is quite small for my yoyo's to siff through. Also the substrate is from my old tank as well. My sailfin pleco is basically a poop creater and thats all he really does. I never see him sucking on the glass. As soon as my lfs comes in stock with Bristle Nosed plecos I will be getting one. Any other remedys I can do to get rid of this issue? I have cut my light timer down to only 8hrs on and 16hrs OFF.

I suppose but being catious for my Electric Blue JD's are delecate. Is this bloom a bad thing for them, or can it be a source of nutrient food. I have been cutting down their food lately and only feeding them 2 time a day for only a minute.

Thanks again.

Seedy
06-11-2007, 04:25 PM
Its really not going to be an issue in the freshwater aquarium. I wouldn't worry about it. Usually it will disapear on it's own once the tank matures. Also, keep in mind that (to my knowledge) lighting does not directly affect the growth rate of diatoms.

Over_Stocked
06-11-2007, 08:25 PM
Seedy has that on spot too. Lighting doesn't matter with brown "algae". I've cut lights completely and it kept on going. The best thing to do is scrub it off, and vacuum it out. If it didn't occur in your previous tank, I presume it is just a little bit of the new tank settling in.

Give it a week or two and you should be moving on to the green...... (algae...)

J-Aqua
06-11-2007, 08:29 PM
Alright thanks folks!

RustyNut
06-11-2007, 09:54 PM
I don't have the reference handy, but diatoms can react to too much or too little light with a growth explosion. Its not the main thing that generates thier food as in algae, but possibly behavioural.