PDA

View Full Version : Emperor vs Penguin....

bluoval1
08-26-2003, 01:53 PM
I am going to be getting a couple of filters for a 20L and a 30. I was wondering what the differance is between the penguin and Emperor filters are. Also, where does the Whisper fit in to this question?

I also want to add another filter to my 125. I have a Fluval 404 and a HOT 220 right now. The Fluval is bio and mech, the HOT is chemical. I like the Fluval and am satisfied with the filtration it does provide, but it is quite a pain to pull it out from under the tank when it is time for filter maintenance.

bluoval1
08-27-2003, 04:28 AM
OK, after much digging I think I found what I was looking for. Until you get to the Penguin 330, you don't get an extra spot for more media and there is also no way to adjust how fast the Bio-Wheels spin on the Penguin. The Emperor Bio-Wheels have an adjustable spray bar to increase or decrease Bio-Wheel speed. But faster is not always better. And they have an extra slot for more media.

merlyn2221
08-30-2003, 11:25 PM
I use both Emperor and Penguin. I have an Emperor 400 on my 120, 55, 40, 20 and a Penguin on my 10s and 5s.

I also use a Fluval 304 and 404 on the two larger tanks along with AC 500 and 300.

I don't like the new Whispers...too many mechanical problems. I do run one on my Koi tank (10g). They fish are babies and only about 4" long each. The Whisper I have on it used to run on a 29g in the past. It works fine as long as I clean it every other week and rinse it weekly.