PDA

View Full Version : PVC Glue

alfdawg
05-24-2007, 10:04 AM
:confused:
I have a question as to how long to wait or if I need to for the smell and possible side effects of pvc glue to go away before a water change?
My loving blue heeler played tug awar with my water hose outside and ripped the water connection from the ground. I went to shut the water off in the well house and noticed I had to water leaks in the well house. So it may have been a good thing he did it. I redid all the water lines in the well house(were metal now PVC) and of course fixed the faucett. It has been two days and there is still a strong odor of glue in the water. I need to do water changes as they are over due but am worried about he effects on the fish. I may have to lug in 80 gallons from an alternate source. I can wait a few more days but it will be pushing it for the changes as I am over due now. How long do you think i should wait to use the water for changes. TIA

Rustynut: the labs are doing awesome and looking great. I lost the plecos though. I will have to get some more from you soon.
Many thanks.

Heyguy74
05-24-2007, 10:14 AM
If you smell the glue in the water I wouldn't use it.

alfdawg
05-24-2007, 10:41 AM
Thanks Heyguy. I guess I need to run the sprinklers for a full day or so to try and get it out. Thats about the only thing I can think to do to for now. I will also have to lug 80 or so gallons of water from town so I can at least do this change (3 tanks) :( . The things we go through for our pets. Most of all got to love Willie(the heeler). again thanks.

Heyguy74
05-24-2007, 11:13 AM
That should work.Better safe than sorry. Usually PVC Glue cures fully in 24 hrs. I know within seconds it will bond two pieces of PVC for good. I'm sure you can wait another day or two for the water changes.

Cich of it all
05-24-2007, 03:16 PM
I hope I'm not insulting your intelligence here, but you did use CPVC and not regular PVC right? Also, assuming you used CPVC, did you used the appropriate cement? The solvent cements for CPVC are different than that for regular PVC because of the whole water contamination thing.

Cich of it all
05-24-2007, 03:18 PM
Here's a website with some info on drying times:
http://www.ppfahome.org/cements/faqcements.html
It looks like WORST case senario is 7 hours and it's ready to use at full pressure.

alfdawg
05-24-2007, 08:25 PM
You are not insult................................. but where in my post did I mention CPVC? :confused: WHY would you even come into a post stating "I hope I'm not insulting your intelligence here, but you did use CPVC and not regular PVC right?" when I stated I used pvc I my post to start with. You might choose your wording a little different. I was just concerned for the smell I still have from the glue which was for PVC. I guess since it was a lot of pipe I replaced it will just take a little more time for it to clear up.
Again thanks for the reply Heyguy

Cich of it all
05-24-2007, 08:44 PM
Well shame on me for trying to help! I guess it's not against the law to use PVC for water supply lines in Texas. It is in Wisconsin. If you used PVC and PVC solvent cement (it's not glue, it's an acid that melts the plastic pieces into one) for your water lines you are in for more problems than just smelly water. PVC is meant for drains, vents, and conduit only. You might choose your piping a little differently. I said "I hope I'm hope I'm not insulting your intelligence" because I didn't want to lecture somebody with something they already knownsince anybody with enough knowledge to replace their own plumbing would surely know what kind of pipe to use. Guess I was wrong. Good luck chief.
Out.

Glaive
05-25-2007, 08:00 AM
PVC is used here in California all over the place with no problems. In fact it has been a long time since I have seen a 2 inch city line come in anything else. Now for draining/sewage I usually see pvc join to abs...

Cich of it all
05-25-2007, 08:38 AM
The PVC municipalities use is specially made to be as cheap as possible to save the taxpayers $. The pipes are coated in the same way CPVC is, only the material is not as strong. That is not the same PVC you buy at Home Depot. They also use a completely different cement than the purple primer / gold can solvent that the homeowner buys for his drain pipe.

Here are some facts on the two types:
PVC is formed differently than CPVC. It does not hold up to the constant pressure the way CPVC does, and may fail over time. CPVC has an interlaced construction, reinforcing the walls of the pipe.

When PVC is manufactured, little attention is paid to the cleanliness of the inside of the pipe due to its intended use. It is raw plastic, and is even slightly porous.

CPVC is manufactured in a “clean room” facility. It is treated with a chlorinated (hence the “C”) coating that protects the water being carried through it from the resins in the plastic and prevent bacteria from growing.

The solvent cements that are used for the two types of pipe are different. Only the CPVC cement is intend to come in contact with potable drinking water.

Heyguy74
05-25-2007, 09:21 AM
Cich of it all,

I understand what you are saying, but we are not talking about potable water. I want bacteria to grow where its supposed to grow. Anything that has anti bacterial properties is usually not a good idea in fish tanks. Fish meds are the exception. Even then a hospital tank is recommmended in most cases as to not kill the bacteria needed for the nitrification process.

I was always told to stay away from CPVC for that reason. I was also told it may leach clorine back into water that has none. Potable water tends to have clorine in it. I'm not sure if thats true of not. This is what I was told. Any clarity on this would def be beneficial to us.

Cich of it all
05-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Yeah, I agree. For inside and around the tank PVC is better for the reasons you stated. Since there is very little pressure on the pipes that are fed by aquarium sump pumps and canister filters, most of the drawbacks of regular PVC don't matter too much. I've just been warned by my friend who is an aquarist and a city building inspector to use only a VERY thin layer of cement on both surfaces so not too much of it is exposed to water.

My main point was in reference to the original poster that said he replaced his water supply lines in and /or from his well house and wondered why the water in his home smelled like PVC cement.

alfdawg
05-25-2007, 04:55 PM
I never wondered why.

"I have a question as to how long to wait or if I need to for the smell and possible side effects of pvc glue to go away before a water change?"

Just a simple question.