If so is it only certain ones?

Thanks.

Reason i ask is everyone tells me no.

But im sure you can.

Thanks

tom
08-23-2003, 03:58 PM
Hi Jasin

I'm going to move your thread to the General African section where such questions are most likely to be answered.

My opinion--and it's only that--is that you can certainly mix cichlids from different African lakes provided you've taken into account dietary needs and behavioral compatibility (the same things you'd consider when mixing say, the Mbuna and "haps" of Malawi).

jonah
08-23-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by tom

My opinion--and it's only that--is that you can certainly mix cichlids from different African lakes provided you've taken into account dietary needs and behavioral compatibility (the same things you'd consider when mixing say, the Mbuna and "haps" of Malawi).

That covers it for me as well. As long as all of the fish involved have similar dietary needs and they're of equal temperment, you're good to go.:)

merlyn2221
08-24-2003, 12:02 AM
Every tank I have, but one is mixed and everyone eats and does fine.
Just beware that there can be cross breeding of different fish. This is usually why most people will tell you to keep the lakes separately. That and what Tom and Jonah said about diet.

SGypsyMermaid
08-24-2003, 12:10 PM
actually, i mix lakes to try to prevent crossbreeding, since fish from the same lakes are more likely to crossbreed. a lot of people don't like mixing lakes because they feel that a more natural habitat/biotope is best.

Jasin98z
08-24-2003, 01:05 PM
Well, i now have a question, i have 1 bumblebee cichlid, it looks bloated, but it shouldnt be from over feeding, i feed them once a day, Mon, tues, they get pellets, Weds & thurs they get flakes and on Fri sat and sun i give them blood worms, he/she is also swimming kinda funny, like waddleing its whole body instead of just the fins.. also not quite as active as usal. maybe pregnant from another fish? Any ideas?

aharris
08-24-2003, 02:07 PM
I think that bumblebees are mbuna. All mbuna types are pretty much strict vegetarians. You can feed them occasional treats of things like frozen mysis or daphnia, but if you feed bloodworms to a mbna, you're asking for trouble. Try switching to a veggie flake like HBH Graze and make srue the pellets aren't high protein.

Your bumblebee may very well have bloat. Do an internet search for treating bloat and isolate the fish for treatment. If the bumblebee survives, stop feeding him bloodworms.

SGypsyMermaid
08-24-2003, 02:32 PM
basically, i agree with angela...bumblebees are mbuna, and most mbuna require a high vegetable content in their diet. you can purchase a vegetable/spirulina flake and mix it with your other flake. cut down the pellets to once a week and stop the bloodworms altogether. for now, if he's still eating, i'd give him a laxative...feed jungle's pepso food for a few days.

Jasin98z
08-24-2003, 03:43 PM
Well, i went to the pet store and got some stuff.. Clout, i also got 2 more fish, When i came home the bumblebee was chasing the others around.. he seems to be a bit active now.. shall i wait and see before i use the meds?

I think my new fav fish is the johanni, the dark blue body with the baby blue marks are just awesome, id love to have a tank full of those with some yellow labs and bumblee's the colors are magnificent..

SGypsyMermaid
08-24-2003, 03:48 PM
i would hold off on the clout...it's very strong medicine which should be reserved for major illnesses...your guy might just be a little constipated.:razz:

Jasin98z
08-24-2003, 03:52 PM
Thanks for all the advice, i hope thats all it is, i've had him/her for quite sometime, about 3" now how big do they usally get in a 55gal tank?

SGypsyMermaid
08-24-2003, 03:54 PM
about five or six inches

jonah
08-24-2003, 05:26 PM
I've got a couple of males in the 6-7" range. Just for the record, although bumblebees are considered mbuna, they aren't herbivores. In the wild they've cleaner fish for a certain type of catfish, so they basicly eat tiny bugs, sort of like Lab. caeruleus if I remember correctly.

Whatever the case, bloodworms on a regular basis is not a good idea.

SGypsyMermaid
08-24-2003, 05:40 PM
check out this thread:
http://cichlidforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146

Jasin98z
08-24-2003, 05:47 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, you can never know enough, i wish everyone that got started in fish looked everything up before the go buy a new tank and purchase 20fish off the bat and the fish die miserably.. Fish are peacful and a beutiful hobby and somthing that adds to your house/apt

Keep the good info coming.

Thanks

merlyn2221
08-24-2003, 11:32 PM
SGM, I am an idiot to not have thought of prevention. I guess that explains why I don't have any hybrid fry! :lol:

(Brain's a mashed potato again! [Or as usual.] :D )

SGypsyMermaid
08-25-2003, 03:45 PM
i think i missed something here...are you responding to something that "I" said?

ferdelance
08-27-2003, 03:28 PM
my limited experience is that the mbuna tend to harass each other and same for the tanganikyans- so the different lakes tend to ignore each other-but not always