PDA

View Full Version : Out of curiosity...

fishyfactoids
05-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Just out of curiosity, if you were to get a 29 gallon tank, what would you put in it?
I say this because I'm getting a 29 gallon and I'd like to see other ideas that people have.

balton777
05-09-2007, 02:25 AM
How about a pair of Crytoheros sajica 'gold' or sp. 'honduran redpoint'?

If you look around you can find some tanks of similar gallonage but with different footprints. Try to find a longer/wider tank rather than a tall tank for best results. For example, you could get a 30-long. (36"x12"x16")--just an idea...

fish speaker
05-09-2007, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by balton777
How about a pair of Crytoheros sajica 'gold' or sp. 'honduran redpoint'?

If you look around you can find some tanks of similar gallonage but with different footprints. Try to find a longer/wider tank rather than a tall tank for best results. For example, you could get a 30-long. (36"x12"x16")--just an idea...

...along these lines, my favorite "small fish" tanks are 30-breeders: 36"x18" footprint.

Most any cryptoheros, like balton mentions, will work well, and would be my choice. Lots of good fish to choose from, from the most common to some fairly rare stuff. Nanoluteus would be another good choice. If you prefer SAs, there are some good little fish there, too: several Krobia, Nannacara, Laetacara species that should work in a smaller tank...all depends on what you like.

fishyfactoids
05-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Ah, see, I have tried looking for tanks like that, mostly online. It's really surprisingly difficult to find something (in my price range) that works. Everything I've found is 'tall', except for the 29 gallon. As for fish species, I should've mention that they should be fairly common; I don't like to mail order fish which leaves me with local stores.

fish speaker
05-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Keep your eyes open for used tanks. I have been very lucky: there's a guy who's a member of the local reef club who has a business servicing tanks. He has sold me several groups of tanks that he either was replacing (got a couple 270-gallon tanks that used to be in a local restaurant that way), as well as some non-standard smaller sized tanks like a group of 6 of the 30-breeders, and several 33-longs (same footprint as a 55). Of course, seems like I only find things like that when I'm not really in need... :rolleyes:

OIC: I knew that "Mars needs women"...guess it needs fish stores, too. :razz: Still, lots of the cryptoheros are fairly common. My lfs frequently has sajica, sometimes even the gold morph. Lots of stores will also special order for you...

Good luck. :ok:

fishyfactoids
05-12-2007, 08:50 AM
Used tanks, huh? Sadly enough, around where I live the town is completely fish deprived. The only lfs that has any American cichlids other than firemouths is about a half hour drive away. The last time I went there I think they had some T bars, but that was about 6 months ago.

fishyfactoids
05-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Ah. I think I've found something! A 38 gallon kit. Comes with a filter, heater, stand and hood, and it's pretty much within my price range. It's about 3 feet long and maybe 1 foot wide. I'm thinking along the lines of severums and firemouths, convicts and firemouths, some mix of those three (it doesn't matter if they're all included).

balton777
05-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by fishyfactoids
Ah. I think I've found something! A 38 gallon kit. Comes with a filter, heater, stand and hood, and it's pretty much within my price range. It's about 3 feet long and maybe 1 foot wide. I'm thinking along the lines of severums and firemouths, convicts and firemouths, some mix of those three (it doesn't matter if they're all included).

Nice find. See what a little extra homework can do for you? lol

Over_Stocked
05-13-2007, 03:57 PM
bolivian rams...........

fishyfactoids
05-13-2007, 06:52 PM
I actually already have a Bolivian Ram in a community tank. I've had her for over a year now.

Morbid
05-13-2007, 08:01 PM
I have a pair of Archo. centrarchus in my 29.
If I had another I'd definitely go for some Crypto. HRP's or nanoluteus.
I've been wanting nanos for years now.
They're gorgeous and not very common.

ocdreamin
06-02-2007, 07:42 PM
I'd go with several groups of apisto's and maybe a couple of smaller geo's or gymnogeo's.
Oh - and I know I don't need to say this but just in case... don't put your bolivian ram in with a convict. I'd give 10 to 1 odds the ram would be missing some finnage the first morning afterwards.

fishyfactoids
06-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Hehe. My bolivian is already in an established community tank, and not moving anytime soon. I'm not that thick! :)

MidNightCowBoy
06-04-2007, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by fishyfactoids

I would stay away from Sevs and Firemouths with that size tank, its too small and they will start fighting for sure. You could do a couple of cons if you want but you should really stick with the "dwarf" fish with that size tank. Rams, apistos, some dithers, youll be happy with it.

Jacque Costeau
06-05-2007, 11:33 PM
midnightcb is right firemouths are excessively territorial and convicts can be extremely aggressive too but can back it up unlike the firemoths. if uoy like crytpoheros i would recommend sajica because they stay smaller and are not as agressive. never mix them with convicts theyll breed