PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Residue

nick447923
05-07-2007, 08:36 PM
Okay, I added some fresh carbon to my filter on my goldfish tank tonight. I noticed minutes later that a small "cloud" of carbon dust was being leached out from the filter exhaust. I rinsed the carbon using a strainer and tap water prior to putting it in the filter. I guess I didn't rinse it enough... I would assume that the carbon particles will eventually end up in the filter fiber but will it do any harm in the meantime?

DogWalker
05-07-2007, 08:44 PM
It shouldn't. I don't use carbon much anymore but I had that happen a number of times in the past with no apparent ill effect.

parhaam
05-08-2007, 04:07 AM
no, there won't be any problem,i even have used Activated carbon as substrate...be sure!, no problem.

nick447923
05-09-2007, 02:22 PM
carbon as susbstrate? hmmm never thought of that before. It probably has a pretty good look to it

parhaam
05-09-2007, 02:33 PM
yes,but there is a problem because of low density of carbon... it can move by sudden movements of a big fishes...you can't use it for big fast swimming fishes.but it's good choice[i think] for discus angel dwarf cichlids loachs,...

RustyNut
05-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Bad idea.... Using the carbon as a substrate...

Carbon will absorb pollutants in your tank untill it becomes saturated, then it will leach these pollutants back into the tank! I honestly don't know just how bad this could turn out, but beyond being too light, the potential to leach back into the tank is not good.