PDA

View Full Version : Dither fish

fishyfactoids
05-06-2007, 09:38 AM
All right, scratch the other cichlid. I'm getting a 29 gal. with one FM and a convict, so obviously there will be empty space. It will have small-ish gravel and silk plants (except for hornwort at the top). Neutral pH, 75 degrees F, 25 - 50% weekly water changes. Any ideas for dither fish that I could put in there?

Dragonkeeper
05-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Giant danios
Tiger barbs

cichlover
05-31-2007, 11:16 PM
NOOOO, you have to get Buenos Aires tetras. get about 3-6 and just watch. They are AWESOME!! some seem more aggressive than my firemouth and they are constantly teasing the FM by ripping food out of his mouth. You will not be dissapointed. I have a 30 and found it hard to house two FM even with tons of cover and hide outs. I imagine a convict will be even worse, good luck anyway.

MidNightCowBoy
06-01-2007, 10:34 AM
That FM will get too big for that tank.

ocdreamin
06-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by MidNightCowBoy
That FM will get too big for that tank.
Agreed. Though if you get it small, you'll have time. If you fit into the crowd on this forum, you'll step up out of the 29 before he gets too big anyway.
I DO however, believe it's a bad idea to introduce one of each of two aggressive species like the con and a meeki. Basically it's like throwing two dogs in a pit. IMO 29 gallons isn't enough room for enough dithers to keep them occupied. I'd use a handfull of other cichlids... be it a group of (quarter size or better, but not sexually mature) convicts or even some 1.5" mbuna (if you can get past the odd feeling of puting africans in with americans).

cichlover
06-02-2007, 12:56 PM
lets try to be reasonable here people. The FM will not get to big for the tank. i have keep numerous FM in tanks that varied from 20-60 gallons. While some grew slower than others they all ultimately reached about 5"-6". The only difference was the aggression levels, of course the fish in the smaller tanks would tolerated less tank mates. My Fm is Happy as larry in his 30 gallon with 2 BA tetras and visiting bala sharks, and syno cat. Choose either the con or FM and go with some dithers, you will be fine. :)

jrrlbds
06-02-2007, 06:53 PM
i use black skirt tetras and giant danios. they both school together...its weird. but my cichlids dont mess with them....i find drab dithers puts the spotlight more on my cichlids. that's why i dont like BA tetras, but they will work.

ocdreamin
06-02-2007, 07:18 PM
As I posted earlier, a firemouth should be fine in a 29 for a while... quite a while. I don't intend to discourage it.
However, if you deem 29 gallons to be optimal (or even sufficient) for a 6"-7" territorial predator, we'll just have to agree to disagree. As I see it (and it might just be me), if you're looking for a long-term home for a cichlid, allow it enough room to grow to full size. I don't think a firemouth will live to see 6" if it stays in a 29. I'd expect it to reach 4" in 12-15 months, and I'd take it out around that time.

fishyfactoids
06-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Actually, the FM is out of the picture. My bike was stolen, hence my budget was cut back. I'm getting a 25 gallon kit now, and I'm just thinking one convict.