PDA

View Full Version : Adding new fish today- Need input!

Todd Copeland
08-20-2003, 05:30 PM
I have a Bumblebee, an Albino (not sure of the name-has yellow in its features, a Convict, an Auratus and a Sucker. They have been together for 8 1/2 months now and get along fine and are getting big. I want to add a Ram and a Spotted or Leopard Puffer. What will the consequences be?

Thanks!

tom
08-20-2003, 06:17 PM
Welcome, Todd

Sounds like you've been fortunate to have kept such diverse species healthy and getting along, and I suspect any additions now--regardless of species--would upset the unusual balance you now enjoy.

aharris
08-20-2003, 06:54 PM
The ram would most likely get shredded. They aren't very aggressive as cichlids go, and your other fish are.

SGypsyMermaid
08-20-2003, 06:59 PM
and puffers are famous for biting chunks out of their tankmates.

Todd Copeland
08-21-2003, 11:19 AM
Well, as I am an beginner still, I thank you for your input. I did add them them and so far its kinda trgic. The Bumblebee, who by this time was 4 1/2+ inches either got stuck, (found him under debris) or had a heart attack or something cause he kicked it. It only took like 5 minutes after I introduced the new fish (Puffer, Ram). No visible scars. Sad, he was the prize--biggest and seemingly most healthy. The others seem to be doing fine today although the puffer has a little film over one eye (Ick?). I realize adding these fish might have been tricky, but gotta learn somehow I guess as everything up to this point has been guess work.

merlyn2221
08-21-2003, 01:09 PM
Try putting in some Aquarium salt and raising the temp to about 85 degrees. He may have developed this problem due to the stress of introducing him to the new tank.

matt1066
08-21-2003, 06:56 PM
Hi there,

Rams are not an easy species for even the most experience hobbyist. They require very soft water to thrive. The auratus and the albino, I am guessing its a convict, but they require hard water. The puffer likes salt in their water NaCl.

The mix you have will not work out well, no way, no how.

What my advise would be would be to test your tap water for PH, and hardness, both GH and KH. Then scour the www for species that you find interesting and then set-up your tank accordingly.

It stinks for the begginer who doesn't know any better, but thats how we all learn. This is the best forum on the www for accurate info, lots of good and experienced fish-keepers. All are glad to help, so keep on asking those questions.

I know better, and I just made a huge error in judgement the other day, that could have and still might cause harm to my fish.

I made a decision based on emotion instead of intellect. Right Merlyn:D

All the best,

Matt