PDA

View Full Version : HELP, Ick attack

matt1066
08-17-2003, 05:30 PM
Hi all,

I have been keeping cichlids for a while, anyway, introduced some new fish and guess what? Yes your right.

In the past when I have had ick I used Cupramine and it worked great. Now i have 3 synodonts and am not sure if I can use it on scaleless fish.

Two questions.
1) Can I use Cupramine on scaleless fish?, of course I notice this on a Sunday blah, blah....

2) What is the theraputic dose for a salt solution? And do I raise the temp to 85F.

Thank you,

Matthew

SGypsyMermaid
08-17-2003, 07:24 PM
imho, raise the temp, add 1 tblsp salt per five gals. and add aquarisol...i have a lot of synos and have never had any ill effects from using aquarisol in their tanks.

matt1066
08-18-2003, 04:56 PM
Hi SGM,

Is that copper based??

Regards,

Matt

merlyn2221
08-18-2003, 10:01 PM
Yes, Matt, it is. But I think not as high a % as Cupramine. When you get my PM, change the tsp to tbls. I just went online to read a package of aquarium salt. Plus I gave you the other suggestion: Quick Cure. It's worked great for me in the past.

matt1066
08-19-2003, 07:39 AM
Oy, when it rains it pours. Just found my Red Empress with a bubble/cloudy eye. How should I treat now that I have ick and cloudy eye????

Do you think the salt would be enough. I am treating the tank already with Cuipramine at half dose plus salt 1tbsp/5g.

I am going to do a 75% water change and add salt and quick cure. I do have Melafix on hand should I use that as well?

Thanks everyone,

Matt

merlyn2221
08-19-2003, 03:09 PM
I don't think the Melafix can hurt. Just use it sparingly. I'd be afraid to use the high amount of salt (which is caustic) and the Melafix (maleafaluca sp? is also caustic) together at regular doses. I'd worry about gill burns.

matt1066
08-19-2003, 03:17 PM
Good thought, I'll skip the Melafix.

Thanks,

Matt

matt1066
08-19-2003, 04:18 PM
Hi all,

Ok, I just added the salt 5tbsp/5g and added the ridick+ (malchite green and Formalin). The ridick says to re-dose in 24Hrs after a 25% water change. that makes me a bit nervous with the Synodonts. If anyone has any first hand experience with Ridick+ I would appreciate it if you chimed in.

I have been advised to use antibiotics on the popeye, but my lack of a hospital tank makes that impossible; well not impossible just impracticle(bio-filter and all).

Any ideas on a dip for the popeye, or will the salt work?

All points of view are welcome, Oh-do you think it wise to keep my tank treated with NaCl all the time?, I know there is great debate about this.

Is there a topical solution I could dab on his eye?

I have a 125g with mixed Haps and Synodonts. 1 pleco as well, but he does not concern me; as he is built to last.

Thank you,

Matt

Freddy J
08-29-2003, 01:20 AM
What is the ratio of water changes to treatments when using salt and Aquari-sol? Do you treat every day, every other day, etc. My bottle says 12 drops per 10 gallons and raise temp. to 85 degrees. It doesn't give a follow up. Any suggestions?

SGypsyMermaid
08-29-2003, 06:24 AM
use the treatment every day until the fish are cured. maintain your regular water changing schedule.