PDA

View Full Version : brown stuff

mwelch82605
04-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Hey yall...I'm not sure if this should go in this discussion or not but I have this brown stuff on my ph meter and on some of the artificial plants. Is that normal algae or should I take them out and clean them off..is it disease or what?

aharris
04-13-2007, 10:24 AM
If the tank is pretty new, then it's probably normal brown algae. It tends to grow in faster than than the good green kind. It can also indicate that you have lots of nutrients in the water. Are you overfeeding?

mwelch82605
04-13-2007, 10:39 AM
well we used to feed them 2X a day...morning and night. Then we switched about 3 wks ago to just once a day..We feed african cichlid attack pellets. Should we remove the stuff with the brown on it and clean it off? I'm still in the process of trying to get ph up. I've been doing weekly 50% water changes and adding pH up (i think thats what its called) and the meter still shows lite yellow. Litter yellow than the color for 5.2. I'm beyond aggrivated w/it..nothing is helping.

Heyguy74
04-13-2007, 11:14 AM
What is the PH out of your tap?

Try using baking soda and epsom salts to bring the pH up. Crushed coral in your filter will also help buffer the water( No need for epsom salts if you use crushed coral). 1 tablespoon of baking soda per 10 gallons. Same w/ the epsom salts.

If your Ph is really that low make sure to raise the PH slowly. No more than 0.2 per day. If you change the ph too quickly you will harm your fish. Your going to have to play with the quanity of baking soda until you reach the desired PH. Take your tiome and if you have questions ask before doing.

Good Luck

mwelch82605
04-13-2007, 12:50 PM
alright thanks! :-)

Scott M.
04-14-2007, 02:50 PM
If you're using one of those hang in the tank pH indicators, I'm not sure I'd trust it.

I tried one of these awhile back. It never showed anything but light yellow as well. My ph test kits showed the real pH which was far from what the little indicator said.

If you haven't yet, I'd try a decent liquid pH kit to see where you're really at.

As far as the brown stuff goes, aharris pretty much summed it up. It should go away in time. It took two or three months on my bigger tanks.

mwelch82605
04-14-2007, 06:26 PM
well should i just leave it or clean it off?

Axeman
04-14-2007, 07:09 PM
what size tank? you can leave it, manualy clean it, or get a bristle nose pleco who will clean it for you. i hear that rubber nose plecos will eat brown algae as well. it all depends on what you want. it really doesnt hurt anything but it is very ugly.

mwelch82605
04-15-2007, 11:48 AM
It's only a 29 gallong tank.