PDA

View Full Version : Best type of filter?

Bubbacracker
04-11-2007, 12:59 PM
I have a 55g with 14 African cichlids and 3 sucker fish. The problem is I'm running a whisper60. My water is clear and tests good but from everything I've read I'm underfiltered. I wanna upgrade and would appreciate some opinions.

What would you consider the best "TYPE" of filtration? I'm figuring on a combo of hang on the back and a wet/dry or cannister option. So we have 4 options..........

1. Wet/Dry

2. Cannister

3. HOB

4. Sponge

So if you could let me know what you figure would be the best stand alone or combo and why. i.e. Ease of use, Frequency of water changes, Cost, Benefits to fish...Etc....

RustyNut
04-11-2007, 03:45 PM
Keep the Whisper60 and add an appropiately sized cannister and you should be fine.

Wet/dry - best on 75g or larger (cost)
HOB - an emporer could work, but the cannister is better
sponge - Very cost effective, but very low flow without a powerhead (w/ PH its almost as good as a cannister)

Rhisenburger
04-13-2007, 04:58 PM
Canisters are quiet. The bubbles from my airstone are louder then my canister. I agree with rusty keep the whisper for back up and buffing and buy a canister.

Bubbacracker
04-16-2007, 07:13 PM
Was reading another thread about the Rena XP3 deal at Petsmart. Took the good advice and went with it. Inow have plenty of filtration. Thanx for the answers even though the poll wasn't that popular. Between searching the site and this thread I feel I made a reasonably educated choice.

Thanx for all the help gentlemen!:D

jonah
04-16-2007, 07:15 PM
I'm late, but I think you made a good decision. HOB and cannister is a good combination.

lilith
05-21-2007, 02:41 PM
I like the HOB Aquaclears. I normally get 2 and put them on either side of the tank, one with an intake close to the bottom and one witht he intake closer to the surface. I also like the sound of waterfalls and find it eerie to walk into someone's house who only has canister filters. I always think I have gone deaf, I can see the tank but I cant hear it....

Bubbacracker
05-21-2007, 04:33 PM
I've actually upgraded to the Canister/XP3 and an Aquaclear 500. I'm very happy with the AC500 but the cannister gives me problems on the restart.

I've moved the Whisper60 onto my 20g "Solitary confinement" Tank. That's where the bad fish go.;) I also have a spongefilter in the 20g.

warrgodd
05-21-2007, 05:51 PM
I went with the Marineland H.O.T. Magnum Pro System 350 G.P.H. for the maine filtration system with dual bio wheel pro 30's and a Marineland H.O.T. Magnum - 250 G.P.H. on the oposite side as a water polisher. the Magnum 350 took a little bit to put all together mesureing the hoses and such but once I was all done getting everything set up. The 350 goes under my tank and the Magnum 250 sits on the back of my tank on the opposite side my water is crystal clear. I have had my cichlid tank for only 2 months now and its only a 55 gallon so I am no where near an exspert I am a very beginner; but I personnally have like the ease of use of both of these units.
Thor

jlhetrick
06-10-2007, 10:17 AM
warrgodd,

I'm a beginner too; started with a 20 gallon and two Oscars about two months ago before doing the right thing and researching. After a few weeks it was obvious the 20 gallon isn't appropriate for one, much less two Oscars.

I rushed out and bought a 96 gallon tank. I use two Emperor 400 power filters. Have had it set up for just over two weeks and it's still cycling but the water is crystal clear.

DogWalker
06-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Bubbacracker
but the cannister gives me problems on the restart.

A bit late responding, but what's the problem? XP3's are normally very easy to restart. It's probably something that can be fixed...

FishBuddy
06-28-2007, 10:05 PM
I have used a XP3 and a Fluval 404 on my 72 gallon, works great!!!

On one of my 20 gallon (long) breeder tanks, I used a Fluval 304 with a custom made spray bar. Once again, nothing to complaint here as I've obviously over filter the tank.

On my other 20 gallon (long) juvies tank, I simply used an Aquaclear 200. Works well but occasionally (once a month), I have to take impeller out and give it a good cleaning...