PDA

View Full Version : All my fish, and where to put them!?

angelhf13
08-14-2003, 08:56 PM
I posted this in a general freshwater fish forum because it has to do with other fish as well as cichlids, but no one there seemed to know a lot about Cichlids...so I'll try it here.

I've finally got all the fish I want, and all the tanks I want. Now I'm trying to arrange everyone in the appropriate setting...tank and tank mates. Below is a list of which fish are in which tanks. I know some dont belong with others.....thats why I need some advice.

55 Gal.>> Africans

2 adult male Johanni
1 adult female Saulosi
1 adult female peacock
2 two inch Jewels (male and female) (dont belong?)
1 adult male Electric Yellow
1 juvenile peacock (about an inch and a half)
3 juvenile Saulosi (about an inch)

29 gal.>> African Juveniles

1 adult female Electric Yellow (holding...moved from 55)
About 10 electric yellows (ranging from half an inch to an inch)
2 two inch cobalt blues
2 unidentified africans...blue with orange fins/ vertical stripes (about an inch)
1 one inch peacock

29 gal.>> Other

2 angelfish (one gold softball size inc. fins, one marble baseball size)
2 black Tetras
2 Dwarf Gourami ..(can these be housed with small africans?)

10 gal.>> Other

2 silver mollies
1 dalmation molly
2 swortails (one pregnant)

I just set up another 10 gal...no fish yet, hasn't cycled.
All my tank's water is identical...79 degrees, and ph about 7.9 to 8.0, I know this is a little high ph for some of these fish, but they all have adapted well....as the water comes out of the tap at about 8.2

I think I have too many fish! I really need to get at least another 29 gal. but I have no where to put one, and no funds at this point for one. Just need some advice as to what should be with what and in which tank. I do plan on taking my yellow juveniles to the LPS. Yellows breed like rabbits!!!

Thanks in advance!

merlyn2221
08-15-2003, 10:05 PM
55g sounds good to me. The jewels should be ok.

Two 29g sound ok too. Only thing I would do is try to keep the angels at like 6.5 to 7.0 pH. Tetras and Angels love acidic waters. Gouramis will be able to adapt better to the lower pH a bit better than the high. Although I guess if they are ok, then leave well enough alone. I say no on the gouramis with Africans. Their fins (those feeler looking things) will get trashed and they aren't fast enough to really get away from the Africans!

10g should be good too. Just don't forget to add aquarium salt for the mollies and swords. They like a more neutral pH, but if they are ok now, they should be ok in the future too.

Basically the rule is, there are no hard and fast rules for fish. What one person can get away with in keeping certain fish, another person will have a disaster. I know plenty of people who keep Danios or Rainbows with cichlids and they do great. Not me. Hey, if it works for you, you can do it.

Good luck!

angelhf13
08-16-2003, 12:03 AM
Thanx merlyn!

I actually had to move my Gouramis. The angels were really picking at them so I moved them to the new 10 gallon.....I know that its too soon, I'll just have to stay on top of the water testing and keep the levels as low as possible I guess? I was at a loss as to what to do...I've never seen those angels so aggressive. They just didnt like the Gouramis for some reason.

Someone in another forum really bashed me for talking about moving fish to a tank that wasn't cycled. I've cycled a tank with fish in the past and didnt have a problem, but am I really being inhumane to these fish doing this? I feel really bad now that this person said that my fish would be lucky if they died instead of living and surviving through the torture of ammomia poisoning. My levels never reached lethal levels when I did this before, and I never lost a fish, but now Im second guessing myself as to whether I should have moved them or not.:nervous:

(I put decorations and water from my established tanks in the new one when I set it up 3 days ago. About 1/3 water from my other tanks, and 3 decorations.)

SGypsyMermaid
08-16-2003, 12:19 PM
i always cycle my tanks with fish. the only other thing that i would suggest that you do is add some of the used filter media from one of the established tanks to the new tank's filter...that will jump start the cycle.

angelhf13
08-16-2003, 06:46 PM
Thanx SGypsymermaid.....I feel better now, especially with that info coming from you....you among others have helped me a lot since I've been coming to this forum. Thanx again!

SGypsyMermaid
08-16-2003, 09:21 PM
:D

matt1066
08-21-2003, 07:01 PM
Just to chime in, everything Merlyn and SGM told you is correct.

The only thing I might add is to remove the jewel, but then again I am a purist(Biotopiamaniac). I dont know where he should go, probably to the lfs.

Hey, but thats me. I believe waterwise he will be OK with the africans.

Regards,

Matt

P.S. Just read your thread Got my Jewels, guess you'll keep them:lol: