PDA

View Full Version : Driftwood. NEED HELP

J-Aqua
04-04-2007, 01:28 PM
So yesterday I got some driftwood for my tank and the guy @ the fish store told me all I had to do was wash it off real good with some warm water and it will be ready to be placed in the aquarium. He said it has been cured and is sinkable. Placed in the water yesterday and got my aquarium all setup. Everything LOOKED AWESOME!

Well now this morning as you can probably guess my water is a "Tea" color (Clear brownish). My question is this, will it hurt the fish? I have some expensive fish in their that I DO NOT want to lose! Please let me know. TIA

J

RustyNut
04-04-2007, 02:01 PM
the tea color is tannins from the wood, they won't hurt your fish, but the wood will make your water acidic so as long as your fish like soft acidic water then you should be ok... eventually the tannins will all leach out of the wood and your water will be clear again but that could take a little while depending on the wood.

voodoochile
04-04-2007, 02:23 PM
What Rusty said. I added some a few weeks ago & I boiled mine for 3-4 hours & it still tinted the water but probably not as bad as yours. It will clear up but it could be quite a while as in a year or so in some instances.

J-Aqua
04-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by RustyNut
the tea color is tannins from the wood, they won't hurt your fish, but the wood will make your water acidic so as long as your fish like soft acidic water then you should be ok... eventually the tannins will all leach out of the wood and your water will be clear again but that could take a little while depending on the wood.

Well the fish that are in there are:
2 yoyo loaches
2 EBJD

They need pretty hard water 7.0

Originally posted by voodoochile
What Rusty said. I added some a few weeks ago & I boiled mine for 3-4 hours & it still tinted the water but probably not as bad as yours. It will clear up but it could be quite a while as in a year or so in some instances.

A YEAR!!!!!!!!! :jaw: Seriously a year?

Heyguy74
04-04-2007, 03:06 PM
Yep it could be a years or more. Usually it doesnt take as long. Just so you know water with a PH of 7.0 is considered to be nuetral. The driftwood will lower PH some but you shouldnt have to worry.

ATG204
04-04-2007, 03:23 PM
i bought cured "aquarium ready" driftwood before...and soaked it for over 2 weeks, having to change the water probably every other day, it didn't effect my water when i finally put it in.

J-Aqua
04-04-2007, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by ATG204
i bought cured "aquarium ready" driftwood before...and soaked it for over 2 weeks, having to change the water probably every other day, it didn't effect my water when i finally put it in.

Wow, wish I would have researched a little more before hand. Thanks for the replies. I think i am going to try to boil the driftwood for a while. Thanks again

J

jombi21
04-04-2007, 03:58 PM
It must just depend. I bought a huge piece of Malaysian driftwood and soaked it for about 5 days changing the water every so often. Figured I would deal the the tea bag water, and put it in the tank. Waters has been fine ever since. I was actually hoping for the water to add character to the tank. hehe. Maybe I got lucky or it depends on the type of driftwood.

Here link to the piece I bought.
http://cichlidforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7669&perpage=40&pagenumber=4

Jom

J-Aqua
04-04-2007, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by jombi21
It must just depend. I bought a huge piece of Malaysian driftwood and soaked it for about 5 days changing the water every so often. Figured I would deal the the tea bag water, and put it in the tank. Waters has been fine ever since. I was actually hoping for the water to add character to the tank. hehe. Maybe I got lucky or it depends on the type of driftwood.

Here link to the piece I bought.
http://cichlidforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7669&perpage=40&pagenumber=4

Jom

Hmm the driftwood that I got is called "Mopani" driftwood. Its real heavy. I got 3 peices and they all weighed 11lbs. I hope the tannins are all gone soon. I don't like the tea colored water. Takes the blue from my EBJD :D

J

J-Aqua
04-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Been doing some research, you guys ever hear about ppl putting polyurethane varnish on their driftwood and letting it completely dry on stopping the tannins in the wood?

J

RustyNut
04-04-2007, 05:01 PM
I don't recall why, but I seem to remember that isn't a good idea.... Memory failure.....

J-Aqua
04-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Most likely this weekend I will take the driftwood out and put them in a bucket and poor boiling hot water on them until the water gets cold and repeat

J

ATG204
04-05-2007, 09:37 AM
definitely depends on the source. many people sell aquarium ready driftwood when it really isn't. it's always a good idea to boil or soak first since the driftwood picks up dust and dirt in stores and in shipping.

J-Aqua
04-05-2007, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by ATG204
definitely depends on the source. many people sell aquarium ready driftwood when it really isn't. it's always a good idea to boil or soak first since the driftwood picks up dust and dirt in stores and in shipping.

I gave it a really good wash and even scrubbed it with the sponge I use to clean the aquarium (sponge has only be used with water no chemicals or anything). So nothing was on the driftwood just the tannins.

J