PDA

View Full Version : Ph

Hilary
03-22-2007, 07:39 PM
So I'm new to this stuff and have been reading on the boards and everything. I'm having a lot of problems with my ph. I tested the ph from the tap and it's 8.8! crazy high!! My Ph in my tank has been staying at an 8.2, but today is up to about a 8.4. I put some Proper Ph 8.2 from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals in my tank. I Did a partial water change last night because my ammonia was about a 1.5-2. I have a 30 gallon bowfront w/ africans and a blue lobster. I have read that it's good to not use any salt or anything unless it's medicinal, but the proper Ph says to make sure you use salt. I'm sorry that this is such a huge blurb of stuff. I'm just really needin' help. thanks guys! This is my first post! I just joined!!:)

RobSplatF4
03-22-2007, 08:19 PM
Welcome to the forums fellow Okie. Wow 8.8 that is crazy high out of the tap. It sounds like this tank hasnt completely cycled. How long has the tank been up. You dont need salt except for medicinal purposes as you said. And just a side note the blue lobster probably wont last long with the africans.

Hilary
03-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Yeah. It's really high. I showed my husband, and we were freakin' out! My tank has been up for 2 weeks. So far, the africans haven't messed w/ the lobster at all, and if anything they're having to stay outta his way. He's the coolest little guy!

Axeman
03-23-2007, 12:48 AM
8.8 is out of epa range for safe drinking water, if you have an lfs close by you might want to have them double check your readings. as for african cichlids, i dont think you will need to make any adjustments they should love it. but i am wondering what will happen to your pipes and such over the long term with that ph. as far as aquarium salt goes i would use it per the directions expsecialy during your cycling. nitrite and ammonia make it hard for the fish to breath and the salt helps. also, i used amquel in my tank on my last cycle. it helps detoxifiy the ammonia and nitrite so the fish do a bit better. that is up to you but i would deffinatly use aquarium salt. good luck and be patient i hate cycling tanks.

Heyguy74
03-23-2007, 08:20 AM
The ph is fine for your fish. You can get bio-spira to help cycle the tank instantly. Other wise , keep an eye on the water parameters. Ammonia gets more toxic at higher PH levels. A good water conditioner will help keep the ammoina in a less toxic form . I like to use prime.Good luck

Hilary
03-23-2007, 11:08 AM
Thanks guys! Can I use the bio-spira and the amquel both, or is it better to use just one?

Heyguy74
03-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Amquel is a water conitioner. Bio-spira is actually the bacteria thats needed for the nitrogen cycle. It come frozen.

Hilary
03-23-2007, 12:13 PM
This morning I woke up and checked the water and now the ph is all the way down to 7.2! This is giving me fits! I'm going to go get some bio-spira today and put it in. how much should i put in and is there a certain way i go about it?

Northernblades
03-23-2007, 12:16 PM
the biospira will nto affect the PH,
honestly start doing the water changes, and don;t muck witht eh PH. it isn;t worrth it. a drop like that overnight can be devastating

Hilary
03-23-2007, 12:17 PM
okay. how much of a water change should i do? a 30%? My fish are acting fine, but I'm freaking out.

StructureGuy
03-23-2007, 03:37 PM
It is common to get water right out of the tap and have the PH drop a little bit after a few hours. Many aquarium "salts" are not totally NaCL (table salt) but they also have some minerals that raise the hardness of the water. A higher carbonate hardness will buffer the water which means it will help to stabilize the water at the higher PH level. You may want to ditch the aquarium salts and use epsom salts or you might want to put crushed coral in your filter to help buffer your water. Soft water and things like decaying plant matter or even fish waste tend to lower the PH.

Using chemicals to raise or lower the PH isn't something that I would do. You have africans and you have alkaline water so that's a good match. Don't sweat the excact PH too much. If you "freak out" and do too much, that may be a whole lot worse.

You only have a 30 gallon tank. How many fish of what size do you have in there?

Kevin

Hilary
03-23-2007, 04:00 PM
now the ph is back up to 8.2 where it needed to be. i have 5 very small cichlids and a blue lobster. how high can the ph get and still be an okay range? can it be above 8.2?

AndrewDru
03-23-2007, 05:08 PM
ide watch out when your litle lobster sheds his shell i had one before i bought on impulse and he was fine untill he shed.
i think my mbuma must have know he was weak and vunrable as they killed him almost strait away so keep a eye on him.
and 30gl is on the small side for africans it will be ok for juvies for a while but africans will grow fast and outgrow a 30gl before u know it

Hilary
03-23-2007, 05:17 PM
yeah. our little guy shed his shell about 4 days ago. it's really weird, he's more active since he has shed his shell than before he shed it. so far, nobody's messin' w/ him. Hopefully they won't *fingers crossed*.. Yeah, When they get too big, I'll probably have to do what my parents have to do w/ salt water fish and trade them for smaller ones. Or hopefully by that time, we will be able to get a BIG tank. That whole newlywed thing is pretty much the definition of being BROKE! HAHA

AndrewDru
03-24-2007, 02:33 AM
my lobster wasent so lucky lol once one started picking at his soft undershell they all had a go. i bet u get a bigger tank its hard to trade them little fish u have raised. i had a 250gl i sold with fish and got a 55gl when i moved due to space issues in the new house, now im working out how to get the biggest tank i can in my alcove, as i dont want to get rid of any fish i have now when they grow up. u get so attached to the little buggers.

Glaive
03-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Add crushed coral to a filter, this will add the same trace elements as a "cichlid salt" will.

Kyle-n-Michelle
03-25-2007, 10:16 AM
Crushed limestone is actually better than crushed coral.
o.O

RustyNut
03-25-2007, 01:36 PM
Crushed Calcite is even better than Limestone!

Hilary
03-25-2007, 02:39 PM
can i get that at the petstores? do i just put it in the filter w/ the charcoal? thanks for all the help guys. i really appreciate it!! :-)

RustyNut
03-25-2007, 08:49 PM
Actually for filters, the stuff to look for in a pet store is Aragonite... they should have that... the calcite gives off an odor (clay like smell) that might not be desirable in some locations.

Just make sure to rinse it before using since it will be dusty!