PDA

View Full Version : Fire Station gave me their tank... HELP!

jombi21
03-17-2007, 05:08 PM
We just opened up a new fire station in my hometown. The old fire station had a 75 gallon salt water tank. Turns out, they upgraded to a 90 for the new station. Who gets the old 75? ME! :D This leads to a ton of questions and hopefully some opprtunity. I would research, but I am confident you all can help me much more than anywhere else. And frankly, I trust yous.

1. Is it even going to be possible to make the switch from Saltwater to freshwater? If yes, please help me out on the cleaning procedure as detailed as possible (ie. if bleach, how do I make the solution....)

2. I attached some pics. The tank is atleast 10+ years old. Do I/ How do I know if it needs resealing? It has been running perfectly for all those years. It went SW to FW to SW during its time.

I thought there would be more questions but this is suitable for now. If there is ANY other ideas/comments/questions/input/anything that I can use, please keep me posted.

As always, I appreciate everything you guys do. You're the best.

Thanks!!!!

Jom

jombi21
03-17-2007, 05:09 PM
Inside... yuck. :D

jombi21
03-17-2007, 05:11 PM
Re-seal?

Chewy
03-17-2007, 08:50 PM
fill it in your garage for a few days and see what happens. That is what I do with used tanks.

cleaning is a different story looks like a lot of hard water stains on that bad boy

if it held water before you got it I doubt that will change

Over_Stocked
03-18-2007, 03:43 AM
rinse. scrub. rinse. scrub. rinse. scrub. rinse. scrub... see where I'm going...

jrrlbds
03-18-2007, 04:13 AM
to rid all those hard water deposits, try using vinegar and H2O with a scrub brush. if that doesn't work I don't know what to tell ya. ----------windex??? followed by lots of thourogh (sp.?) rinses. if that doesn't work your probably sh*t out of luck. I hate to be so frank, but I've been through the whole procedure and sometimes you just have to deal with the water deposits. ( no one can really tell unless they're an accomplished aquarist). ((((Even then you really have to look for the deposits.))))

spifff2003
03-18-2007, 06:44 AM
ya i agree rinse scrub rinse use alot o elbow grease and you will be fine it looks a lot like my first 55 gal.

SIlax
03-18-2007, 05:10 PM
or you could use like lime away and just rinse it really well but other than that ya just vinegar and water and rinse rinse rinse

jombi21
03-18-2007, 05:37 PM
Thanks a lot everybody! We got it pretty clean, but discovered it was pretty well scratched under all that gunk. It is going to be a slow process but I think the tank will be useable. The next step is building a stand... I love a project! :D

Also, anybody have any comments about the re-sealing. What are signs of it needing to be re-sealed, before we fill her up?

Thanks again.

Jom

Glaive
03-18-2007, 07:24 PM
Just fill it up on a level surface for a few days. It is very hard to spot potential leaks.

jombi21
03-18-2007, 07:29 PM
Will do. Thanks Glaive.

Jom

jombi21
05-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Wow... didn't realize it was over 2 years ago that I came into possession of this tank until I checked the thread. Well, be that as it may, I just got around to filling it up in my garage. It's clean as a whistle from the naked eye, but how do I know for sure that this is going to be a safe, healthy environment for freshwater fish? I would hate to put the seeded filter on it with some danios and come to learn that the tank is still plagued. Then I would waste all that bacteria that came from the tank that is being upgraded. Do you think it should be okay and I'm overreacting? Thanks.

That glass is thick! They made them heavy!

Jom

Seedy
05-09-2009, 03:36 AM
As long as it doesn't leak, it should be just fine :)

Glass is a wonderfully non-porous material and you don't have to worry about any kind of "contamination" from the tank having been salt water.

Larry
05-09-2009, 08:33 AM
good job!! That didn't take long..lol..did you use any bad cleaners?

jombi21
05-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Awesome! Can't wait to get it inside the house. When we cleaned it we didn't use anything too harmful.

Jom

roscoe6977
05-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Purely my opinion......if the tank has a few years on it, it may in your best interests to reseal it weather it leaks or not. I have learned that just because a tank holds water today, it may not in a year. Really sucks to put a lot of work, time, money into the tank to have it spring a leak.

jombi21
05-11-2009, 02:08 PM
If it springs a leak... I will cry.

Jom