PDA

View Full Version : HELP...I think Jack is sick

eb
10-07-2002, 10:13 PM
Hi...I rescued a Dempsey about 9 yrs ago from a horrible situation...he has lived in a breeder tank now for all this time with just a few Danyos to give him somthing to do... he is so strong, I have moved several times and never had any trouble with him...now I think he is sick.
He has tiny holes on the top sides of his face..3 on the right and 2 on the left...they have not gotten any bigger since I saw them about 5 or 6 weeks ago...I looked up hole in the head and do not think it is that...and now he is sort of a bit off balance...he is leaning to his left...and seems to be breathing harder out of his mouth...all of these things started to happen yesterday.
I looked in my cichlid books and all I found was he might have tuberculosis...except for the wasting away part of the symptoms...
He is eating and still can swim pretty fast when he wants too....I don't know what to do....any thoughts?
thanks, EB and Jack

SGypsyMermaid
10-08-2002, 03:35 AM
i would have guessed 'hole in the head' from your description, but since you already ruled that out, maybe one of these sites can help:

http://www.cichlidforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=80

Rudy
10-08-2002, 05:37 AM
I would have guessed hith as well but have you thought maybe he is just old? You got him 9 years ago plus a couple years before that he was in a pet store or whatever. Maybe jack is just an ederly gentlmen that has lived a good life.

eb
10-08-2002, 05:52 AM
Thanks for the replys...
Hey Rudy...how long is there life span?
Since last night he is not leaning as much now...I uped the strength of his power head oxegen blower thingy and he seems bbetter now. I will check out the sites too and thanks again...
EB and Jack

SGypsyMermaid
10-08-2002, 07:33 AM
good luck!!! :D

Rudy
10-08-2002, 08:17 AM
NORMALLY 10 years. I know a guy who has had one for 14 and he is old and dirt and constanly gets sick but he ain't gone yet. He doesn't treat him anymore. This thing continues to fight things off. Last year he got ich for the first time in his entire life.

I am just happy to hear you actually kept a fish for 9 years. I wish I had the willpower to do that.
:D

Scotty
10-08-2002, 08:34 AM
I think Rudy's got it pegged down. I've been fortunate enough to keep a fair amount of fish long enough to have them die of old age. What you're describing sounds similar to my experience. The pitting on his head is a common feature of fish in thier "Golden Years". Continue to keep him in a stress free environment, and try not to expose him to any new fish, as the head pitting is a hint that his immune system isn't as strong as it used to be. Good Luck with him 8) Hey you never know, he may last a few more years for you. I have a dog who's going to be 22 years old this December. Every time I'm ready to write him off, he claws his way back!