PDA

View Full Version : Overwhelming sudden algae buildup

RayTRNJ
03-14-2007, 04:27 PM
I have a 75 gallon tank with 11 Ciclids which has been running very well for over a year. I change 25-30 gallons every 3 to 4 weeks, and I am very proud of how well it has been kept being it is my first tank. Over the last week or two, I have noticed a large amount of algae has grown on the top of the rock surface, mainly in the middle area of the tank. Alot of algae has grown on the glass, and the fixtures inside the tank. I know it is a normal thing for algae to grow in tanks, and I keep the light on a timer so it is only on for 6 hours a day. The sun coming into the room has not changed either. But for some reason an abundunt amount of algae has grown very rapidly and I cannot understand why. ANY help in this matter will be appreciated,...
Thanks,

Northernblades
03-14-2007, 04:33 PM
goofy question. do you test your water? specificaly for nitrates?

my first guess is that these changes arn;t frequent enough to actualy lower the nitrates. and over the year (or as the fish have gotten bigger. the nitrates have acumulated in the aquarium. providing nutrients for the algae, added to this, the days are getting longer, and the tank might be recieving more daylight.

the 2 combined are a very likely place to start looking.
first things first, go spend 10$ on a nitrate test kit. if you have one, and it is always reading the same or sais everythign is fine..... I have had back luck with expired or cooked kits.

cichgirl
03-14-2007, 04:36 PM
The algae is probably growing due to the gradual nitrate buildup. Changing the 25-30 gallons every 3-4 weeks doesn't remove the nitrates accumulated by your 11 cichlids and nitrate feeds algae. If you up your water changes to 25-30 gallons per week (after a couple of large water changes to control your current nitrates) you'll probably be able get it under control.

edit * My thoughts exactly, NB - you beat me to it...

Northernblades
03-14-2007, 06:26 PM
hehe you got 3333 posts. on a side note, that algae buildup, choudl be a very good thing for your fish, as it does help deal with some of the nitrates.

Chewy
03-14-2007, 10:19 PM
also what color black, brown, or green

tpicciani
03-15-2007, 10:50 AM
I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago. I bought 2 clown plecos and 4 chinese algae eaters. The Plecos aren't really doing much and I now know bristlenose and rubbernose plecos are better algae eaters. But those chinese algae eaters have cleaned every bit of algae from the rocks and the sides of the tank.