PDA

View Full Version : possibility of ich?

infamous
03-13-2007, 05:30 PM
hey all, i have a question. I took my Yoyo loach out of my cichlid tank, because i was going use him to eat the excess food that the 5 feeders in my 10 gallon tank don't eat while the tank cycles. well after about 2 minutes of the loach being in the tank, i noticed a white bump on one of the goldfishes head so i took the loach out and put him back into my cichlid tank. Soon after i removed the loach the goldfish died. Is there a chance i just contaminated my cichlid tank with ich? thanks in advance!
-Infamous

Glaive
03-13-2007, 06:20 PM
I was always understanding that ich was always in the water and that for a fish to show symptoms it had to be weakened. This may not be entirely accurate so if you see a bunch of dissenting opinions you will know. ;)

LuckyCricketMafia
03-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Before I knew any better :D I put a new fish w/ich in a tank with several healthy fish. It was almost a day before I realized the new fish had ich and I quickly put it in a 10 gal tank. The other fish never showed any signs of ich, I did add some aquarium salt just to be extra safe, I think you'll be fine :ok:

Northernblades
03-14-2007, 10:08 AM
the way I understand it. is that ich is always in the fish. not nessesarly in the water.

when a fish is stressed. the imune system fails. permiting ich to take hold. once it does, it begins the life sycle. during the water born fase, it can atach to healthy fish from the outside in (as opposed to failing imune system having it go the other way)

once a fish has it attached. the parasite continues the life sycle.

thus. if you can keep the fish happy and healthy, and prefent introduction of water born parasite (or disrupt life cycle)

your likely safe.

the loch would have had to have been exposed to water born (free swiming) parasite. than brought it back.

cichgirl
03-14-2007, 11:53 AM
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/BODY_FA006

http://www.aquariumhobbyist.com/articles/Ich.html

Northernblades
03-14-2007, 01:25 PM
neither of these sites list anything about it always being in the site.

subject a loach to poor conditions, shock, or chill them and they will get ick. prety near every time. I have not had new fish in my tank for nearly 6 months..... yet if I chill a loach I will have an ick outbreak

cichgirl
03-14-2007, 02:16 PM
I, like Glaive was always under the impression that it's always in the water and infects a stressed out fish. Once one fish is infected ich quickly flies out of control.

Quoted as introduced:
""Ich" is a protozoan parasite with the scientific name of Ichthyophthirius multifiliis . It is easily introduced into a fish pond, tank, or home aquarium by new fish or equipment which has been moved from one fish-holding unit to another. Quarantine is an effective way of preventing this disease."

Quoted as found in most people's tank water or introduced with purchased fish or objects:
"The organisms that causes ich is ever present in most aquarists water. It can arrive with new fish, in plant bag water, or even come in some fishfoods. The bottom line is that its out there, and we must learn what to do about it."

I can find nothing about it always being in the fish. I think loaches are an easy host.

cichgirl
03-14-2007, 02:24 PM
another vote for present in water:

http://www.fishlore.com/Articles/CuringIch.htm

"Ich is usually present all the time in aquaria in small numbers, just like germs are in the air we breathe. However, when a fish suffers from extreme stress, such as a sudden drop in temperature, its resistance is lowered and it becomes vulnerable to diseases. Ich outbreaks also occur after the introduction of new fish to an established aquarium."