PDA

View Full Version : How am I doing?

jombi21
03-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Ive never had a successful new tank the first time around... See if I did anything wrong.

I filled up the new tank with 24 gallons of new dechlor water. Took 5 gallons of water from my old tank and put in the new. I took one of the penguin filters off the old tank put in on the new along with a few plants from the old tank. I put Cycle in the new tank. Aquarium salt in new.

Heres my reading after day 1
Ph - 7.4 (normal up here for all my tanks)
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5.0 ppm

How am I doing so far? / What's my next step (Is it worth getting two cycle fish?)?

Thanks guys!

Jom

Northernblades
03-08-2007, 11:16 AM
um.... fish?

The Idea of using an old filter, or media, or water, or anything is to introduce aditional bacteria. (cycle was prob not nessesary) in fact I know some peopel who argue, that it isn;t nessesary at all)

but if there are no fish. the bacteria starve themselfs out. and then your at square one.

jombi21
03-08-2007, 11:21 AM
then what is fishless cycling?

Jom

Heyguy74
03-08-2007, 11:26 AM
Fishless cycling is when you add ammonia yourself to the tank. The bacteria need a source of ammonia. Based on what you have done, I'd say your tank is cycled b/c the filter is alreay cycled. You may see a small spike in ammonia and nitrite reading but nothing compared to a full cycle. You need to add fish to the tank to keep the bateria in the filter going.

Also you dont need to add water from another aquarium, there is little bacteria in the water that will help with the cycleing of the tank.

Northernblades
03-08-2007, 11:55 AM
it is possible that the nitrate he is reading is from the old tank.
the old water.

that the bacteria in the filter is DEAD. and nearly a full cycle is required.
if a fishless cycle were being used nitrates woudl be well over 5ppm

jombi21
03-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Allright, so i got some tetras swimming in the tank from the lfs. (thanks NorthernBlades)

Is my good bacteria gone allready? Did I mess up AGAIN???

:nervous:

Jom

jombi21
03-08-2007, 12:03 PM
lol, Heyguy - Ive messed up so many times, my thought was get as much bacteria that I can, and try as many tricks as I could. The Cycle too, it was a last resort of just getting some bacteria in there. I know it was not too reliable.

Appreciating the responses everyone! Thank you!!!!!

Jom

Northernblades
03-08-2007, 12:12 PM
it is interesting that there are 2 of these posts going on right now

understand that your bacteria can not exceed the bio load,
soo 2 tetras will suport enough bacteria.. for 2 tetras.

I would prob take a bag of gravel from your other tank, and put it in a filter bag. or place a few of your ceramic rings or bio media, into the new tank or new filter. just remember, the bacteria is like fish.

it needs food, can be starved, and can be poisoned. (chlorine)

jombi21
03-08-2007, 12:32 PM
If I put gravel from the old tank in the new... That would just be adding to the bacteria, but since that will not exceed the bioload, what would the advantage be of doing that? Did I need to buy more fish and increase the bioload?

And while I got someone who is taking care of me, how will I know when my tank is cycled? When am I ready to introduce the other fish? And what should my water changes look like in the next couple of weeks?

Thanks guys!

Jom

Heyguy74
03-08-2007, 12:43 PM
If the filter was only running for a day on the new tank before you added fish your bacteria should be fine. What fish do you plan on keeping in there?

jombi21
03-08-2007, 12:48 PM
What I'm planning on keeping is debating over in the non-cichlid forum, without any replys. :D

For now a polypterus palmas. Thats what I needed the tank to house. As for other fish, Id like to take his old tank mates down, but Im not too sure if those are the best fits anymore.

Thanks guys!

Jom

Glaive
03-08-2007, 01:06 PM
It might not hurt to add more fish for the cycling process. More fish begets more waste begets more bacteria which will ease the strain on the bacteria when you introduce that which you intend to keep.

If you add gravel from another tank, put it in the filter it will colonize much faster. So long as you didn't go too long, several days, you should still have bacteria left in the filter.

jombi21
03-08-2007, 01:08 PM
A new tank never goes right for me.

Do you think I should go back to the lfs and pick some more up now? or wait? There are four small tetras in there added a few hours ago. its only 29g

Also, the tank have been running for about 16 hours.

Thanks everyone for being so quick!

Jom

jombi21
03-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Ok.... So, I got 4 more tetras in there. a little bit bigger ones. I got a sac of gravel from the old tank in the new filter. Let's try this again!

Thank you a ton! for all your help.

Jom

Over_Stocked
03-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Just get the fish you want. You have the bacteria to support them, it is likely that it wouldn't even go through cycling if you got what you wanted now. You are just prolonging this farther than you even need to. If your water conditions are right for the new fish, get them.