PDA

View Full Version : tank crashed due to power failure

Joe Chan
03-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Hey Guys and Gals:

need some suggestions, my tanks has never been better, the water was perfect, stable, and all the fish were doing great. My female was holding (her third batch) everything seem perfect, until the ice storm last night.

I came into the office to check on my fish and found most of them belly up and struggling, the water was at 50f (10c) and the power had been out for 16 hours!!

I spent most of the day in emergency mode, putting up my 30g and dug up my battery powered air pump, put the fish in a bucket, put some of the water from the tank with a little bit of warm water from the tap and flew them home in time, I managed to leave them in the bucket and brought the water up to temp slowly, they all are looking better and are eating now.

The 2 month old fry from my grow out tank didn't do so well, only one out of 22 made it! Still don't know if it will make it through the night.

My question is, is the water still good in my tank, or is most of the bacteria dead, since the water temp went down slowly, is there a chance that some of the bacteria is still alive in the crush coral and the rocks? The water is slowly being brought back up to temp, I think this will take a couple of days, I don't want to do a water change yet. Should I look for cloudy water? This would be an indicator that the tank had crashed? what are the signs? how will I know if the water is good enough to put the fish back in? I don't want to change out all of the water and shock the fish whe n I put them back in.

The fish are starting to get aggressive in the 30 gallon, (the were in the big tank) I want to get them back in the big tank before the kill each other.

The peacocksare the bullies now. The female Peacock either spat out her fry or swalloed them. I feel bad for her, she has been holding the fry for 3 weeks now.

thanks for the help.

:( :(

Glaive
03-03-2007, 11:44 PM
There is a very slight chance that some bacteria survived. I would consider salt to help fight potential nitrite poisoning. If you can get a cup of used gravel from your lfs and put it in a filter.

Build aquarium/kosher salt up to a 1 teaspoon / 5 gallons amount.

Joe Chan
03-04-2007, 12:31 AM
Hey Glaive: thanks for the reply, do you mean put salt in my orginal tank 55g, or into my temp tank where the fish are now? (30g)

I put salt (aquarium) into my temp tank today.