PDA

View Full Version : Should i have to reset my tank

karthik_m1984
03-03-2007, 10:52 AM
I have a 85 gallon community tank with both american and african cichlids living together.The tank was first setup 6 months ago.I have consistently been changing the water and my fishes are living healthy and big.And my salvinis are now behaving like they are going to breed.

But now the substrate gravel has been polluted with poop ,which i can see when my powerhead is on for filteration and the powerhead is not clearing the stuff.Otherthan powerhead i have a normal bottom undergravel filteration mechanism going on.

Is there any necessity of RESETTING my tank ,as it has been 6 months since the gravel and the stones been washed and, I doubt a need for washing them and replacing them ? Will it destroy the bacteria in the tank?..

How good is a canister filter?..Should i have one?

Please advise me.

New2jewel
03-03-2007, 11:15 AM
I never heard anything good about the under gravel filtration. It's always good to Vacuum the gravel for the poop. That's how I do all my water changes. U knock out two birds with one stone.

karthik_m1984
03-03-2007, 11:24 AM
So the necessity of resetting the tank removing everything ,cleaning them and replacing doesn't arise eeh?

An aquarium person told me that however good be the filteration mechanism,you have to reset the tank once in 6 months cleaning everything and replacing.

Another guy told me that,by doing so it will disturb the bacteria needed for the aquarium and it is unnecessary resetting the tank.

What should I do?..My tank is now 7 months old.I have been changing the water quite often.

And I am planning to attach a best filter around to my tank.What do you suggest for my 85 g.

Thanks.

Dragonkeeper
03-03-2007, 11:58 AM
you don't need to reset the tank so to speak. When you do your water changes use the big gravel cleaning tube to clean up the poop.

If it were me I would ditch the undergravel filer and replace with a high quality canister filter and possibly a high GPH hang on the back filter.

With these filters all you have to do is clean the media in the tank water that you siphoned out, and you really only have to do this once every couple of months.

Undergravel filters are not very good at cleaning your water. A combination of a canister and HOB filters will keep your water crystal clear and keep the parameters in check much better.

Glaive
03-03-2007, 12:10 PM
I would do 4 water changes over the next two weeks and clean the gravel in four parts. You should have been vacuuming the gravel with every water change perhaps 1/2 per change. For right now thoroughly cleaning 25% at a time will prevent a system crash. When you get the gravel good and clean I would do my next water change via the uplift tube to help clear any debris trapped under the plate.

LuckyCricketMafia
03-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by karthik_m1984

An aquarium person told me that however good be the filteration mechanism,you have to reset the tank once in 6 months cleaning everything and replacing.

Another guy told me that,by doing so it will disturb the bacteria needed for the aquarium and it is unnecessary resetting the tank.

What should I do?..My tank is now 7 months old.I have been changing the water quite often.

And I am planning to attach a best filter around to my tank.What do you suggest for my 85 g.

Thanks.

WELCOME to the forum
You don't have to reset a tank, making it cycle again would only cause stress for the fish and you. As far as what filter to use on an 85 gal, you want the GPH as close to 10X your tank size. I have canister and hob filters and they both work great, canisters are a little harder to clean and the hobs keep bacteria better but do a search on this site you should find a better comparison then mine. I would get two hobs and run them for a week or two, then vacuum really well, take out all the decor and carfully pull out the ugf. They are not a good filter choice for cichlids in my opinion. And you would do better without them. :D

Glaive
03-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Typically canisters are known for biological filtering and hobs are known for polishing, cannisters have a greater potential for bacteria and due to lower flow rates they have a greater potential for contact time. One advantage to hobs in biological filtering is the greater gas exchange.

LuckyCricketMafia
03-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Glaive
Typically canisters are known for biological filtering and hobs are known for polishing, cannisters have a greater potential for bacteria and due to lower flow rates they have a greater potential for contact time. One advantage to hobs in biological filtering is the greater gas exchange.

Good to know :D, I had a bad experence with my magnum 350, It was on a cycled 55 gal and when I changed the blue sleeve (I forget what is called) I had a mini cycle. I added a seeded hob and things have been going great using both.

karthik_m1984
03-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Yeah Thank you all for your feedbacks.

I am going to clean with the vacuun tube and i am ready to buy the canister and hob to suppport the filteration.

I will leave the ugf untouched as it is really under the gravel and the rocks to be removed from.

I brought the ugf because it was the only affordable and available one that day.Now the canisters are into the market.Should upgrade the system.

And i have got a big beautiful drift wood yet to be placed into my tank.I was worried about the brown they bring into the water.

Will the driftwood brownish the water,if a canister is placed?

I live in Kerala in India.

Glaive
03-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Ah magnums in my understanding are not typical to most cannisters, they do make for better mechanical filtration.