PDA

View Full Version : mixing malawi and tanganyika cichlids together.

conig
08-08-2003, 09:51 PM
I have a good number of SA cichlids and other misilanious fish. In multiple tanks I'd like to try some africans.

the set up will be a 55 gallon above ground filter crushed coral floor and a good number of rock hideing spots and one or two ptted plants or plastic plants with silicined rocks to keep them down.

I know for sure I would like one or two fontosa's and some birchardi. I'm not even sure if these fish are from the same lake or if I can mix them or not.

I will probable get some of them from walmart as I commonly see julies and blue malawi chiclids there if I can.

I'd like to have a large number of chiclids that don't get much larger then 6inches with the exception of the fontosa's. when they get big enough to chow down on my residents I'll get them there own tank, or put them up for adoption(hopefully )

I'm looking more for colors and fish that are sociable. enough to not have to seperate them all the time or get them individual tanks.

the prettier the better. lol

all help is greatly appreciated.

BSwan27
08-09-2003, 10:37 AM
I would advise not to keep the frontosa(s) in there as they grow faster and larger than any of the fish you are keeping them with. As for mixing the lakes, the only problem is the difference in diet but most of the fish you will buy are raised on the same staple. Labidochromis caruleus is a colorful fish and does well with most and a Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" are good fish also.