PDA

View Full Version : Jewel-Frontosa??

Larry
03-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Does anyone havehave any experience with jewels living with Fronts? I cycled my 100 gal tall tank and am trying to decide If two jewels (pair) could retire with 4 fronts (1m 3f) and kind of keep the peace. I've had the jewels for 5yrs so they are slowing down compared to the young crowd in their current home. My Fronts have never really been aggresive, I've used their tank as a nipped fin hospital many times. Any feed back is good feed back so i'm curious who thinks what...
Thanx

aharris
03-01-2007, 05:24 PM
If it fits in the Fronts' mouths it is food. I don't think jewels get big enough to escape that category. Also, even mild jewels are still nippy. Fronts really do not show aggression. And when they do, it is in slow-mo, so they hold their own poorly against even moderately aggressive fish. Blue Dolphins can be too boisterous for them.

Larry
03-01-2007, 10:52 PM
Any other suggestions to live with the fronts? I'm not tottaly against a single species tank but would like to whey my options first.

aharris
03-01-2007, 11:56 PM
Blue Dolphins are generally suggested as tankmates. As I said, some Dolphins can be too boisterous for them. I have the mix going currently, and so far all is going well, but then, my fronts aren't anywhere near breeding age either. Some folks keep yellow labs with theirs with success although the labs wind up as snacks from time to time. However, some also report that the labs get fin nippy. Large Lepidiolamps are also candidates, so long as they're not breeding. Syndontis cats like Eupterus, decorus, granulosus, are also decent choices. Placidochromis phenochilus (sp) have been mentioned and I've seen the mix. If you want to take the time to ensure they don't get too much protein in their diet, Cyatho. furcifer are also good choices. Some have peacocks in with theirs but they can get eaten suddenly if the fronts feel hungry.

As with anything, you may find that your mix doesn't work where others report success with it.

Kyle-n-Michelle
03-03-2007, 01:59 AM
Jewels get big enough to not be food but Jewels are pretty mean.